17 22.97%

13 17.57%

15 20.27%

8 10.81%

6 8.11%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't Worry Darling (Wilde, 2022)

Pronoun(s)
    He, Him, His
    I liked it actually. I don't care what critics say and they had their knives ready anyway.

I had a BLAST at the cinema and was not bored for a second, despite 2 hours of running time. I think a lot of it can be contributed to Florence Pugh - the charisma was oozing off the screen and she completely sold me on the premise. It might not be the most original movie ever made and I get the Stepford Wives + Matrix comparisons, but why is that supposed to be a bad thing? This was FUN.

6.5/10

To celebrate Goldie Hawn's career and take part in her canon please click here

Why is absence so heavy to bear? BillCipher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Poet View Post
    Now, why would she want to be Jordan Peele? You know there have been literal decades of people making satirical horrors and thrillers, long before Peele was even a glimmer in the eye of his parents? He did not invent this kind of story, not even vaguely close to it. If anything, Get Out was a homage to the decades of people who made subversive films. This gives the exact same energy of people who think A24 horror is a genre.

Of course Peele's movies show the seedy underside of society much better than this, but like...they're completely different in nearly every way. I swear the pedestal people put Peele on is going to drive me to my wit's end, and I like the guy
    Why not strive to emulate one of the best in the business? The film is clearly trying to be a feminist Get Out after all. But Get Out was impeccably crafted with tons of foreshadowing and interesting fresh characters. This was not.
    "everything was fine yesterday"

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    The movie was way more interesting before the mystery is revealed. After that you feel like it set you up for something big that never arrives.

I mean, the twist is nothing really new. When the movie starts and you see everyone being perfect and playing stereotypical gender roles your mind immediately goes to “Stepford Wives” and in the end you end up getting EXACTLY you imagined right in the first 5 minutes of the film.

Idk, I think they could’ve come up with something more out of the box. The execution of the reveal was also quite lazy. I mean did anyone ever doubt the husband was involved? The way she recovers her memory based on just one song felt like the film was rushing to end. And then she just kills the guy and runs away and the end? Okay?

Also, what was even the point of the reveal that Chris Pine’s wife was the mastermind behind it all? Or did I misinterpret that and she just recovered her memory and got revenge on him? Either way, it just felt like an afterthought and out of place.

That being said, it was still quite an engaging film up until the reveal because of the tension and you imagining it could be something much bigger than it actually is. I can’t say I wasn’t entertained. Acting was pretty good, too bad there are lot of things that are started and just go nowhere.

The Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Protheus View Post
    The movie was way more interesting before the mystery is revealed. After that you feel like it set you up for something big that never arrives.

I mean, the twist is nothing really new. When the movie starts and you see everyone being perfect and playing stereotypical gender roles your mind immediately goes to “Stepford Wives” and in the end you end up getting EXACTLY you imagined right in the first 5 minutes of the film.

Idk, I think they could’ve come up with something more out of the box. The execution of the reveal was also quite lazy. I mean did anyone ever doubt the husband was involved? The way she recovers her memory based on just one song felt like the film was rushing to end. And then she just kills the guy and runs away and the end? Okay?

Also, what was even the point of the reveal that Chris Pine’s wife was the mastermind behind it all? Or did I misinterpret that and she just recovered her memory and got revenge on him? Either way, it just felt like an afterthought and out of place.

That being said, it was still quite an engaging film up until the reveal because of the tension and you imagining it could be something much bigger than it actually is. I can’t say I wasn’t entertained. Acting was pretty good, too bad there are lot of things that are started and just go nowhere.
    Maybe it was just me but the dialogue seemed to foreshadow that it would ultimately be a fertility reveal? Like Chris Pine was a cult leader that would impregnate all the women. I mean think about it. Theres all these mentions of pregnancies, There's that scene where Flo is cracking the eggs and that part where harry is like lets have a baby. I thought it was all leading to something like that. But nope. Bad writing.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by BillCipher View Post
    Maybe it was just me but the dialogue seemed to foreshadow that it would ultimately be a fertility reveal? Like Chris Pine was a cult leader that would impregnate all the women. I mean think about it. Theres all these mentions of pregnancies, There's that scene where Flo is cracking the eggs and that part where harry is like lets have a baby. I thought it was all leading to something like that. But nope. Bad writing.
    There were a LOT of things that were set up and went nowhere, the kids stuff was only one of them.

When the husband made that dance he looked like he was a controlled puppet and I thought that the movie was setting up a mind control plot with him and others? But no, I guess he did that just because…?

Cool popcorn movie to watch at first time and somewhat enjoy but walk out disappointed. But I don’t feel like it would work in a rewatch at all, not something I plan to see again.

The Dog.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Also, what was with the company RING and the senior promotion thing? I thought it set up there was a men’s club or something like Stepford Wives.

Later we discover that the men simply go out to the real world in their real life jobs to get money to sustain that fantasy program which is probably paid and expensive.

So what was the point of that “promotion” anyway? Promoted to what? Chris Pine says something to the husband about him proving himself to be who he really was, what was going on with that?

It’s a list of continuous unexplored plot points that get started and never get developed. Ugh, someone reduce my grade from 6 to a 5, pls. This film is just so intellectually cheap.

The Dog.

Bunny helping Alice escape literally made no sense. Bunny chose to live in the Victory project because she lost her children in the real world and the simulation was the only way to see them again so why would she let Alice escape and potentially put the entire project at risk? Also, don't understand Shelley killing Frank. Was she trying to help Alice by killing him or was she trying to be the new leader?

The film was carried by Florence Pugh as expected. I did love the costume design and the hairstyling tho. Harry Styles had one good moment, the rest were mediocre. Also the plot was pretty predictable. I was hoping the housewives would band together or something. Still, I enjoyed it. I'd give it a 3.5/5. A 6 in the poll for that abrupt ending.
    Last edited by virgovenom; 09-24-2022 at 09:59 PM.

virgovenom says: "Bunny helping Alice escape literally made no sense. Bunny chose to live in the Victory project because she lost her children in the real world and the simulation was the only way to see them again so why would she let Alice escape and potentially put the entire project at risk?"

I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by virgovenom View Post
    Bunny helping Alice escape literally made no sense. Bunny chose to live in the Victory project because she lost her children in the real world and the simulation was the only way to see them again so why would she let Alice escape and potentially put the entire project at risk? Also, don't understand Shelley killing Frank. Was she trying to help Alice by killing him or was she trying to be the new leader?

The film was carried by Florence Pugh as expected. I did love the costume design and the hairstyling tho. Harry Styles had one good moment, the rest were mediocre. Also the plot was pretty predictable. I was hoping the housewives would band together or something. Still, I enjoyed it. I'd give it a 3.5/5. A 6 in the poll for that abrupt ending.
    Probably because

merry christmas

I cannot believe that was the ending. I literally shouted out loud in my theater (that had ten people in it) "Thats the ending!" It was like the movie ended at the 2nd act.

A competently made bore of a film with truly nothing to say that hasn’t already been said, quite often, by much, much better films. Everything about this felt so literal, so surface. Where was the tension? The depth? So bland. And the acing is a mess across the board. Not that anyone is particularly bad but the chemistry is way off. Kate Berlant and Chris Pine are in a completely different film. Florence Pugh is on lonely island. Harry Styles is… chile.

4/10. Strong cinematography and production design at least.

Some questions:

- If the Victory headquarters is the exit they are keeping hidden from women, why does Pine have a scale model on display with a sign to the headquarters? And why is it placed on a hill for everyone to see?

- What was the earthquake rumbles? The idea that they were weapons testing was obviously false. But it was a shared experience by all the characters, so it doesn’t make sense it was a train going by Flo’s and Harry’s real life apartment. Did they program a volcano in Victory world?

- Does Harry “sleep” in Victory world? Because working 8 hours a day, and putting in time in Victory doesn’t leave a lot of time for real-world living. And also that begs the question of whether Florence is being properly cared for in the real world.

- If touching the door of hq is all it takes to wake up (as it’s implied at the end), what happened earlier when Florence touched the door? We see visions of electroshock therapy (and chorus girls) but Florence ends up back in her Victory world bed. How? If she woke up the real world, did Harry put her back under and erase her memories again? Plausible except Harry seems to know nothing about Florence’s hq excursion.

- Was Pine manipulated by his wife? She seemed to be aware the entire time, perhaps (like Bunny) because she wanted the kids. Or maybe it was just one more thread that the film didn’t decide to explore.

- Millions spent on a virtual world, and they rehash the same 3 relationship stories, knowing that they will repeat the stories to their neighbors and friends.

I’m sure there are several dozen other questions. But this will suffice for now.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Yeah, there are so many “plotholes”. This wasn’t a well done movie at all. I will eventually look at Metacritic for this to see if there is any high praise there to know who’s not a serious critic lol

What saves it is that the story is quite entertaining and intriguing for the most part until the reveal and you aren’t aware when watching that the film story and multiple plots will never really be closed. Actors in general were good.

Florence Pugh charisma in horror also helps a lot, I think. There’s some quality on her that just makes her perfect in horror/suspense movies imo. I honestly didn’t care for her much in stuff like Little Women or Black Widow tbh, but I STAN her in Midsommar and this film even if kinda basic, still is probably my 2nd fave character from hers.

She sells an ambiguous mix of strength and vulnerability in these movies that just makes you root hard for her in horror films. Honestly the best thing of the film.

Was there some problem in the post-production? Maybe it was rushed or something. Because I feel like this is the type of film that could’ve possibly been a classic but it was mostly left inside the editing room.

The Dog.

Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben The Dark Poet's Avatar
    A place...where nobody dares to go...they call it Xanadu
    Pronoun(s)
    lydia/tár
    Quote Originally Posted by Protheus View Post
    I will eventually look at Metacritic for this to see if there is any high praise there to know who’s not a serious critic lol
    Let's not do this. Just because someone has a different opinion than you does not make them a bad critic at all. I know I'm positive about this film, but that's beside the point - this stupid herd mentality is what is killing film criticism and fueling the war against critics that we see every time a divisive film is released. There are a couple of major critics (like Richard Brody), that liked it and wrote some very interesting pieces that your reactionary, incendiary posts could never hold a candle to - are you telling me that they're not serious? Just because you didn't like something doesn't mean those who did should not be taken seriously. This myopic perspective is why YOUR opinion won't be taken seriously, because you're promoting one way of thinking, and if you don't see the problem with that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Red herrings are not plot holes guys…

Not to say that there are many things to explain or left to interpretation, that may be harder to find the most logical explanation.

As for the first time Flo’s character touches glass, I believe she left out for a few seconds into the real world, but then got teleported back to her bedroom.

The earthquake thing: could be the train from the real world, yeah. Just like in a dream, we hear something and it’s another. But if that is a collective simulation, would they all live near train stations? Hmm

The plane crash: I wonder if it was a simulation itself, but why do it, one can ask… inspire fear? But it turned into the opposite : curiosity. And that makes sense for the talk between the big boss and her in the kitchen. He was not expecting such audacity and curiosity.

Sure, most of the points defy logic but for me a plot hole is something more… concrete to the action.
    Last edited by android; 09-25-2022 at 05:15 AM.

Pronoun(s)
    Him
    I saw the plane crash as a bug in the simulation software.

I will marshall all the forces of darkness to hound you to an assisted suicide! - Peter Capaldi, In The Loop

Twitter delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    I saw the plane crash as a bug in the simulation software.
    Yeah, it makes sense. I guess I was in a Shyamalan mood after the twist lol

All of these unanswered questions/plot holes and very possible answers just make me smh. I agree with someone above - a competently made bore and felt like it ended at the start of what would be a 3rd act.

A definite mixed bag. I felt it was directed and especially edited extremely poorly. The performances were all fine I thought. Styles was fine, I think he's problem though is that he elongates every word that comes out of his mouth, and I think that's just the way he talks.

Anyway, I thought the 3rd act was actually pretty thrilling. The twist, even tho I figured it was gonna be something like that, worked for me and made sense. The reactions saying the "twist is preposterous" were completely overblown. I was also surprised by people saying it ended abruptly. I feel like it ended at the perfect spot. Some neckbeard next to me did say "That's it? Ugh that's stupid" or some dumb shit like that

Anyway, like 6/10 maybe

The more and more I think about this story the more and more the logic starts to unravel thread by thread. Seriously such a fun and interesting concept told with absolute sloppy execution