User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The AW Film Canon - 1943

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Poet View Post
    I like Imitation of Life, but it wasn't even in my Top 10 that year

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Poet View Post
    And I'll do it again! my least favourite of his "major" works

Meshes of the Afternoon will be hard to top as my new 1943 first watch. Just an amazing stream of pure dislocated consciousness, expressed masterfully nonstop.

Kinoshita's debut, Port of Flowers, already shows the warm grace and detailed community portrait he'll utilize to great effect in Twenty-Four Eyes, and these human elements and easy comedy help counter the blunt war effort message quite nicely.

Day of Wrath is almost a diptych tale in which the fate of first part's woman (as played by Anna Svierkier, Marte is unforgettably heartbreaking) casts a huge framework of foreboding shadow and ambiguous nuance over the second part's one, which would play out like a (still excellent) domestic melodrama if not for the deadly oppressive system hanging over the whole thing. Exquisitely directed by Dreyer throughout, with a disquieting, masterful final scene.

FYC:

Sahara (Zoltan Korda)
    Hangmen Also Die! (Fritz Lang)

Oh I would FYC again Romanze in Möll for those who loved Kaütner. Fantastic drama.

Classic Actressing Obsessed Cooper's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He
    Since I'm quite the fan, I haven't the slightest idea what my fave Jennifer Jones film or performance would be. Having said that, Jeez Louise The Song of Bernadette is special in so many ways. Few actress were treated more like royalty in their film "debut" (post-name change, ofc ) than Jen-Jo.

I take nothing away from her lovely, sensitive, heartbreaking and inspiring performance but she was surrounded by the creme de la creme both in front of and behind the camera. I've seen the picture several times but the magic is always there.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Peng View Post
    Meshes of the Afternoon will be hard to top as my new 1943 first watch. Just an amazing stream of pure dislocated consciousness, expressed masterfully nonstop.
    Yes, isn’t it fantastic?

What a happy day it is! Elliott?'s Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/him
    Meshes of the Afternoon deserves to be top 2. Masterpiece!

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Watching the last 10 minutes of The Gang’s All Here with my jaw on the floor. What even...how...I-

Busby Berkeley, man. Incredible.

Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben The Dark Poet's Avatar
    A place...where nobody dares to go...they call it Xanadu
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post

Busby Berkeley, man. Incredible.

You better keep this energy for 1933

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    1943 is a huge blindspot for me apparently 🙈. Hopefully I can see enough in the next few weeks to contribute. Reading all the posts in here and starting with Douce, as it's available on Criterion and not nearly 3 hours like the Powell and Pressburger.

Pronoun(s)
    He
    Quote Originally Posted by fiction View Post
    1943 is a huge blindspot for me apparently ��. Hopefully I can see enough in the next few weeks to contribute. Reading all the posts in here and starting with Douce, as it's available on Criterion and not nearly 3 hours like the Powell and Pressburger.
    Welcome a-board, fiction!

I hope you enjoy Douce, the P&P (watch it in installments, if necessary ) and many more from the year.
    [SIGPIC]

Pronoun(s)
    He
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco-natale View Post
    Oh I would FYC again Romanze in Möll for those who loved Kaütner. Fantastic drama.
    I obviously need to see more films from this Kautner fellow because Romanze in Moll (aka Romance in a Minor Key) is at least just as good as Douce. It hooked me immediately and there's never a dull moment. The triangle with Michael, Madeleine and her hubby was enthralling enough but then Viktor (such a contemptible cad) heightened the drama and suspense immeasurably.

I also have to mention the cinematography. At the formal dinner party celebrating Viktor's promotion there's a single shot consisting of a gorgeous chandelier and a beautiful mirror within which the elaborate dining table is framed. It's to die for! The final close-up of Madeleine - and the film itself - is exquisite.

Fran, I'm quite pleased with my ballot and don't wish to change it. Nevertheless, I really hope people with space left on theirs will watch this rare gem and give it the recognition it so richly deserves.
    [SIGPIC]

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Welcome a-board, fiction!

I hope you enjoy Douce, the P&P (watch it in installments, if necessary ) and many more from the year.
    Thank you!

I rather enjoyed Douce. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said - it's a quietly dissenting film masquerading as a period costume drama, a brave feat to release in occupied France. The scene construction, at its best, is immaculate. The dialogue can be quick-witted, biting, lyrical, often all of the above in just a few minutes. Anyone participating should seek it out.

As for Colonel Blimp, I intend to! My issue was less the runtime in general, and more the runtime that day .