• Elsa Zylberstein - Simone Veil: A Women of the Century

1 0.76%
  • Other (Write-in your prediction)

3 2.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best Actress in a Leading Role. July 2022

Quote Originally Posted by EOLB View Post
    Hmmm... I wouldn't be surprised if she fares better with regional critics, but she'll most certainly falter with the major precursors. Kristen Stewart last year is the blueprint.
    spencer didn't have bad buzz before it opened, 2 admittedly fantastic trailers and we forget everything else

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by CassIAm View Post
    spencer didn't have bad buzz before it opened, 2 admittedly fantastic trailers and we forget everything else
    I think the critical reception in Venice will be good. But as soon as it hits Netflix...

I think we started getting a sense of how divisive 'Spencer' was with the limited release and it slowly grew until it peaked with the SAG snub. After that day, oof... It was like everyone was trying to get it off their chests.
    Last edited by EOLB; 07-28-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Blunt Force

Hmmm... I wouldn't be surprised if she fares better with regional critics, but she'll most certainly falter with the major precursors. Kristen Stewart last year is the blueprint.
    Maybe Jamie Lee Curtis will campaign for her just like Moore did for Stewart? She's always reposting her Blonde trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by CassIAm View Post
    Blonde seems like the kind of film everyone has a loud opinion on, until it drops on netflix and is promptly forgotton before that weekend is over, it probably won't factor into awards at all
    Exactly the words of Barbera on Deadline. "Blonde will put the conversation".
    2022 World Cup Golden Rush here

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Lynch View Post
    Maybe Jamie Lee Curtis will campaign for her just like Moore did for Stewart? She's always reposting her Blonde trailers.
    I think she'll be busy trying to get a nomination of her own.

#dameoctaviaspencer

Blunt Force

This kind of film will always have us licking our chops because the artsy actressing will be off the charts, but there are many red flags here too: the early release date, the rating, the runtime, the reported fights between the distributor and the director over the cuts...

I think it's easy to assume this film will find a bigger audience than 'Spencer' just by virtue of being on Netflix, but I wouldn't be shocked if that very factor makes it look even more hated than 'Spencer' a few days later.
    Yup. Not to mention two…graphic scenes in the film that I won’t describe here, as to extend sensitivity to other users here. But once the general public and industry get an eyeful of its explicit nature, I can’t imagine a potentially great Ana de Armas and the role she’s playing will be able to help her overcome polarized reactions, especially with this increasingly crowded category. Kristen Stewart barely made it last year despite playing possibly one of the most loved figures of all time and Blonde makes Spencer look like King Richard.

Marilyn Monroe is arguably baitier for Hollywood awards than Diana. I know it’s splitting hairs since they’re both icons, but I do think the royal roles have to have the support of the Brits to succeed (and they usually do) but they turned their nose up at the American playing Diana and the film that wasn’t particularly kind to the royal family enterprise.

Prince William was missing something in his life that day.

With that said I think Blonde has potential to be even more divisive and controversial than Spencer (early reactions really oversold the horror for that one), but the role could be more sympathetic too. Don’t think people will be as offended by old and dead Hollywood execs and other men in her life being portrayed negatively.

And Stewart got the Oscar nom in the end anyway, though this may be a much more competitive year if the top contenders on paper pan out. The film could be flat out panned for all we know, and if mega raves aren’t there the role probably won’t be enough this time.

Stewart barely made it in, and some of you continue predicting De Armas despite the NC-17 rating and September release date. I don’t get it.

I mentioned this before, if "Blonde" gets a slot at Telluride, then I may reconsider Ana de Armas.
    2022 World Cup Golden Rush here

A Fan of Dakota Johnson Since A Bigger Splash Cinesnatch's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    he / him / his
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilianmovies View Post
    The Queen of the Desert test screening thread having more than 100 users online waiting for the response was also classic AW.
    Good times. I was at that first screening. I defo felt the weight of AW on my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Zuckerberg View Post
    My favourite will always be Nicole Kidman in Grace of Monaco The Kidmaniacs really tried to gaslight that it was a baity role and tried to bring down Mama Dench in Philomania that year!
    Taxes!

Speaking of 2013, it reminds me of Blue Is the Warmest Colour, rated NC-17 like Blonde. There was a small contingent here who believed LAFCA winner Exarchopoulos could get in, when the actual story was Streep elbowing out Thompson for a record nod (with that kiss of death NBR speech, j/k).

No idea if de Armas will or will not get nominated (and she is playing a famous person, which is different), but seems like the rating will be at least one hurdle to overcome.

ETA: Also the dragging of Penny Lane earlier in the thread ... : chef's kiss :
    Last edited by Cinesnatch; 07-29-2022 at 01:30 AM.

Parker Posey 2022

1. Margot Robbie
    2. Michelle Yeoh
    3. Naomi Ackie
    4. Olivia Colman
    5. Cate Blanchett

6. Danielle Deadwyler
    7. Carey Mulligan
    8. Ana De Armas
    9. Helen Mirren
    10. Jessica Chastain

Quote Originally Posted by Cinesnatch View Post
    Also the dragging of Penny Lane earlier in the thread ... : chef's kiss :
    Hallelujah! Amen!

Tang Wei - Decision to Leave (Winner)
    Naomie Ackie - I Wanna Dance with Somebody
    Ana de Armas - Blonde
    Cate Blanchett - TAR
    Margot Robbie - Babylon

Olivia Colman - Empire of Light
    Danielle Deadwyler - Till
    Regina King - Shirley
    Jennifer Lawrence - Causeway
    Helen Mirren - Golda

Senior Member DameOctaviaSpencer's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by Iheartamyadams View Post
    Stewart barely made it in, and some of you continue predicting De Armas despite the NC-17 rating and September release date. I don’t get it.
    I mean, you don't know that. Preferential ballot system meant she could have been easily Top 3 for the nomination. Even if we take the stats, Penélope Cruz was likely fifth for the nomination with absolutely zero mentions all the way through, and yet, I wouldn't even bet on that one.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    I think she'll be busy trying to get a nomination of her own.

#dameoctaviaspencer

Yup. But she's extremely supportive of both De Armas and Yeoh, which is honestly a very beautiful thing to see & witness.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by DameOctaviaSpencer View Post
    I mean, you don't know that. Preferential ballot system meant she could have been easily Top 3 for the nomination.

The fact you had lost all hope the days right before the announcement tells me you don't really believe in what you wrote...

Blunt Force

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him

The fact you had lost all hope the days right before the announcement tells me you don't really believe in what you wrote...
    The fact that people had Lady Gaga #1 (including me) and the most likely to be nominated tells it all about individual truths on this race. These "Stewart barely made it" cocky statements are silly, because it's just as believable that she was Top 3 for the nomination. She clearly had passion, Cruz as well, so I'd assume they were on more 1st ballots than for example Nicole Kidman. Then again the latter was probably on more ballots overall. But again, that doesn't mean anything, because we don't know. Not to say most people I'd say thought in the end Chastain would miss as well, and then over-predicted someone who didn't even hit BAFTA longlist. so I'd just refrain making bold statements about last year's race. Esp. in such fucked up category.

Pronoun(s)
    Scum
    I mean, you don't know that. Preferential ballot system meant she could have been easily Top 3 for the nomination. Even if we take the stats, Penélope Cruz was likely fifth for the nomination with absolutely zero mentions all the way through, and yet, I wouldn't even bet on that one.
    Venice, LAFCA, NSFC and AACTA nom (an actual industry vote) is not "absolutely zero mentions".

"And there on top of his head were faces like she had seen only in a dream, almost too beautiful to be recognized as people at all:
    the most beautiful woman and the most beautiful man in the world, she the female version of him, and he the male version of her
    "

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeEastman View Post
    Venice, LAFCA, NSFC and AACTA nom (an actual industry vote) is not "absolutely zero mentions".
    I give you AACTA. Still, she had the least mentions. So if we go by the rule, she was dead least. But like I said last year's category was a messy, and I can even imagine her doing much better than last. In fact, I think maybe in the end it was Nicole who finished last.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    The fact that people had Lady Gaga #1 (including me) and the most likely to be nominated tells it all about individual truths on this race. These "Stewart barely made it" cocky statements are silly, because it's just as believable that she was Top 3 for the nomination. She clearly had passion, Cruz as well, so I'd assume they were on more 1st ballots than for example Nicole Kidman. Then again the latter was probably on more ballots overall. But again, that doesn't mean anything, because we don't know. Not to say most people I'd say thought in the end Chastain would miss as well, and then over-predicted someone who didn't even hit BAFTA longlist. so I'd just refrain making bold statements about last year's race. Esp. in such fucked up category.
    Just because Lady Gaga missed, it doesn't mean all things go. I fell for the Penelope Cruz last minute buzz for the win (mostly because I didn't want to look like a fool again after really doubting her nomination too), but I have a feeling there wasn't much truth to it either. As for Kristen Stewart, it's pretty obvious she went from the clear frontrunner to a clear passion pick. After losing an easy Golden Globe when there still was the perception she was way ahead of everyone else, the SAG and BAFTA snubs happened, signaling how much people were struggling with her film. And if Julianne Moore hadn't helped afterwards, who knows if she would have pulled through? I think her fall was too big to believe she was anywhere close to the win in the end.

Blunt Force