User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which awarding body has the best taste in their respective field?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Emmys

10 13.33%
  • Grammys

1 1.33%
  • Oscars

40 53.33%
  • Tonys

24 32.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EGOTs: Which has the best taste?

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    I really don’t think it’s greedy for wanting to be rewarded for your work

It can be boring as a viewer but you’re lying if you tell yourself you’d take your name out of contention after winning a few times already lol

Pronoun(s)
    Legend
    OMG, someone actually voted for the Grammys.

Emmys rewarded Claire Foy last year just for reading a letter during 1 minute in The crown. Not even Oscars would dare.

Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben The Dark Poet's Avatar
    A place...where nobody dares to go...they call it Xanadu
    Pronoun(s)
    lydia/tár
    I haven't voted yet. If the Emmys give a trophy to Jennifer Coolidge in a couple of months, they'll get my vote

Pronoun(s)
    He
    Quote Originally Posted by Jali View Post
    Emmys rewarded Claire Foy last year just for reading a letter during 1 minute in The crown. Not even Oscars would dare.
    Yeah I love Foy in The Crown but WTF was that Guest win

Pronoun(s)
    (this is NOT Sasha btw)
    I'll give the Emmys some points for rewarding Rami Malek for an actually great performance. Oscar can't relate.

Classic Actressing Obsessed Cooper's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He
    It's exceedingly rare for actors to bow out of the Emmys after several wins for a particular series but it's happened. Oprah and Candice Bergen did it. If I didn't do so in their place, I'd feel like Mr. Piggy accepting an umpteenth Emmy for the same gig.

Other than stans, friends/family and TPTB at my show, everyone would be damn tired of yours truly in the winner's circle. That would nag at me. I'd also think about peers of equal or greater talent going home empty-handed year after year because of me. Granted, even I'm highly skeptical I'd possess the necessary integrity guts to say enough is enough. Just the same I know I'd feel guilty and greedy if I didn't.
    Last edited by Cooper; 06-20-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    [SIGPIC]

Pronoun(s)
    Mrs. Park
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKian View Post
    OMG, someone actually voted for the Grammys.
    I was baffled, but I've read that user's posts in the random music thread

it tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Heroesrule99 View Post
    I was baffled, but I've read that user's posts in the random music thread

it tracks
    whatever

Shocking one has an original thought and point of view, instead of simply agreeing with the majority and being boring. Luckily none of your posts I can recall from the rmt so no comment there.

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    the emmys lol, the grammy's are more miss than hit most of the time and the tonys as dedicated as they are have still very much theatre kid energy that puts them in a weird position where a lot of winners are very theatre brand and are a mixed bag when you actually see them and the oscars have terrible, boring lousy safe winners every time, this year is the peak example of it, they rarely have that passion pick win, even in nominations they tend to be very and a lot has to do with sentimentalism. safe but can't say i'm surprised they're leading the poll even if it's kinda laughable.

the emmys might have some misses i'm not going to lie, it's not the perfect awards show by any means though i'd argue they're the better of the bunch, they go for genre a lot, nominations/wins AND above the line too not just craft cats, acting categories included, wins which i think it's pretty cool, nominated performances are most of the time pretty great there's a few eye rolling ones or snubs happen but i don't think people can complain about half a line up of emmy nominees. i don't give a shit about repeat winners and the oscars reward the same loud performances so i can't really say they're better just because they're harder to get or you just get 1 and if you're lucky 2, exclusivity doesn't make them better. and the oscars don't go for genre either, we always complain about it, the emmys nominate genre shows and performances every year, some even win. oscars are way more boring than emmys and they will always be if they keep nominating basic movies and performances. might be a hot take but tv has a lot of amazing things and the emmys tend to take notice of great shows and make them big contenders or passion picks do great. they don't dable in sentimentalism either, they're very hard on their choices which i think it's great because it means no matter how much you want to sell you story your work also has to speak. even the emmys ceremony is better and they acknowledge things oscars would never even think to.

if repeat winners is the main reason you guys are not picking the emmys then idk what to tell you because it's a lame reason. exclusivity doesn't make the oscars better it just makes them boring because their choices are 90% of time boring.
    Last edited by HunterValentine; 06-21-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterValentine View Post
    the emmys lol, the grammy's are more miss than hit most of the time and the tonys as dedicated as they are have still very much theatre kid energy that puts them in a weird position where a lot of winners are very theatre brand and are a mixed bag when you actually see them and the oscars have terrible, boring lousy safe winners every time, this year is the peak example of it, they rarely have that passion pick win, even in nominations they tend to be very and a lot has to do with sentimentalism. safe but can't say i'm surprised they're leading the poll even if it's kinda laughable.

the emmys might have some misses i'm not going to lie, it's not the perfect awards show by any means though i'd argue they're the better of the bunch, they go for genre a lot, nominations/wins AND above the line too not just craft cats, acting categories included, wins which i think it's pretty cool, nominated performances are most of the time pretty great there's a few eye rolling ones or snubs happen but i don't think people can complain about half a line up of emmy nominees. i don't give a shit about repeat winners and the oscars reward the same loud performances so i can't really say they're better just because they're harder to get or you just get 1 and if you're lucky 2, exclusivity doesn't make them better. and the oscars don't go for genre either, we always complain about it, the emmys nominate genre shows and performances every year, some even win. oscars are way more boring than emmys and they will always be if they keep nominating basic movies and performances. might be a hot take but tv has a lot of amazing things and the emmys tend to take notice of great shows and make them big contenders or passion picks do great. they don't dable in sentimentalism either, they're very hard on their choices which i think it's great because it means no matter how much you want to sell you story your work also has to speak. even the emmys ceremony is better and they acknowledge things oscars would never even think to.

if repeat winners is the main reason you guys are not picking the emmys then idk what to tell you because it's a lame reason. exclusivity doesn't make the oscars better it just makes them boring because their choices are 90% of time boring.
    Spill. Better repeat wins for a genuinely great performance than the umpteenth real life ugly-prosthetic-driven schlock or the lazy narratives.

Emmys don’t give repeat wins/noms to genuinely great performances though. Most of the time they repeat because… just because

What a happy day it is! Elliott?'s Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/him
    There’s a lot to unpack in that post but knocking the Tonys, an awards body that honors theatre, a point for “theatre kid energy” and “theatre brand” winners is uh… a choice. There are plenty of questionable choices in Tonys history (many limited to what winners they could recognize in any given season, since their eligibility guidelines are so narrow compared to the others) and there’s a lot to criticize about their lack of adventurousness (especially in Best Play), but having theatre kid energy is hardly a compelling argument.

And saying the Emmys don’t go for sentimentalism is very funny. Sentimentalism is at play with all four of these groups — just because it looks different at the Emmys than the Oscars doesn’t mean they’re immune to it.

Pronoun(s)
    Market Liberal
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryfan04 View Post
    Emmys are very hit-and-miss, but they did give us Fleabag, Schitt’s Creek, Succession, The Crown, Chernobyl, Watchmen, Queen’s Gambit in recent years. Not a bad group of winners, there.
    They've gotten better. The need to work on their obsession for repeat acting winners.

Oscars
    Tonys
    Emmys

MTV Music Awards

Grammys

The Tonys by default because I don’t know any of them.

Grammy's is easily the worst,they often give big prizes to what would be the equivalent of if the Oscars gave a screenplay award to Fast and Furious or if the Emmy's handed out awards to NCIS or Young Sheldon.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott? View Post
    There’s a lot to unpack in that post but knocking the Tonys, an awards body that honors theatre, a point for “theatre kid energy” and “theatre brand” winners is uh… a choice. There are plenty of questionable choices in Tonys history (many limited to what winners they could recognize in any given season, since their eligibility guidelines are so narrow compared to the others) and there’s a lot to criticize about their lack of adventurousness (especially in Best Play), but having theatre kid energy is hardly a compelling argument.
    Thank. You.

I’ll never understand how people don’t see or understand how close the art of cinema and the art of theatre are tethered. Like, it’s actually dumbfounding.

Pronoun(s)
    she/her
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerleigh View Post
    The Emmys should lose just for awarding JLD six times in a row and thereby awfully ignoring all the other talented actresses in excellent performances
    Was thinking Emmys but you spilled!!!!

Senior Member DameOctaviaSpencer's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerleigh View Post
    The Emmys should lose just for awarding JLD six times in a row and thereby awfully ignoring all the other talented actresses in excellent performances

Emmys occasionally make the coolest choices, but the majority of them are uninspired. And the fact that they have a lot more nominees and that uninspired winners/nominees tend to get repeated every god damn year makes it impossible to choose them.
    This. Like don't tell me Dern, Metcalf, Kudrow, Poehler etc. didn't deserve at least a few of her wins.

Or that Julia Garner needed three Emmy wins. And we can go on and on.