User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

I disagree that this was the best ep of the season. As a standalone episode of television, it felt really formless. Two intercut action scenes and a too long denouement, basically. Doesn't really work by itself at all.

However, as a collection of Star Wars moments it was really, really wonderful. The Obi-Wan/Vader duel here is maybe the best in the series now? The only one I'd maybe put above it is TESB. Beautifully staged, atmospheric, and driven by real emotional stakes.

I don't know whether this project ever felt entirely satisfactory on its own, but I do think it (along with Rogue One) makes ANH feel weightier, and so I suppose that's enough to justify it in the end.
    IN THIS HOUSE, WE STAN HILDI SANTO-TOMAS

Why is absence so heavy to bear? BillCipher's Avatar
    this was probably the best episode of the series.
    Pretty emotional.
    The show was not my cup of tea overall though.
    Star Wars needs to stop focusing on the skywalkers.
    Theres an entire universe of untapped potential.

The Fallacy of Sunk Costs

The Most Interesting Man in the World CMJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    I got more emotional over a 30 second appearance from Liam Neeson than anything in The Mandalorian. That's how long I've been waiting for this. Maybe it would have been better for him show up earlier, at Obi-Wan's lowest point, I don't know. But I'm glad that Neeson was lying when he denied his involvement.

And of course, you have to love the nod to the fans (and meme makers) with Obi-Wan's first words to Luke. A nice scene between McGregor and Edgerton right before that.

It's a little odd to leave the Reva thing hanging like that, seeing as how she's still in possession of the galaxy's biggest secret, but I guess Obi-Wan's trust in her rebirth is enough.

If I wanted to nitpick, I'd say that the duel probably should have been shorter. They were never going to top Mustafar, but they knew that going in. This was less acrobatics and more brutal, more use of projectiles. Because we got the Anakin flashback before their previous meeting, I wish we'd had something similar here to show exactly how/why Obi-Wan is able to best him again. Simply because he got his groove back after being buried under rocks? What we've learned from the past is that Anakin might be more talented from a raw sense, but Obi-Wan is smarter. And I didn't see it put into use here. Maybe I missed something?
    I think the reason is when facing Obi-Wan, there's too much emotion in Vader to think clearly. He's a pretty cold, calculating villain -- but when facing his former Master it hits home and he can't focus the same way which Kenobi is able to exploit. He's also incredibly cocky, which Obi Wan remembers. Vader is the better duelist, but throw in their history and all of the sudden he's not.

There's a moment after Vader throws Obi-Wan into that deep pit, and there's a low-angle shot of Vader looking down at him, and I can't believe the writers resisted the urge to have him say "Now it is I who has the high ground."
    The Holy Trinity:
    Satyajit, Sharmila, and Soumitra

One scene this elevates to me is when Anakin kills Count Dooku. The Jedi way as Obi Wan showed would have been to let him with a hands-less life.
    Last edited by Ghost Peppa Salsa; 06-23-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Frankly, Obi-Wan should be blamed for constantly letting this guy live and go on to terrorize the galaxy over and over again, when he could have just killed him easily.

It made sense for him to let Anakin/Vader live on Mustafar, because how could he possibly survive that? Dude was burned alive to within an inch of his life.

I'd agree that it doesn't make sense this go round though.

Yeah Obi Wan letting Vader live this time is something I won't be able to let go. I understand prophecy wise it makes sense as Vader is still the one who brought balance to the force, but in this VERY moment it makes no sense for Obi Wan to let him live.

I think the Jedi are only supposed to kill if it's self defense, Jedi killing Sith after they're beat would let in the dark side more often and make them no better than them.

Pronoun(s)
    Him/He
    The problem is Kenobi straight up says before the duel, "he dies or I do, either way this ends today". I think he had every intention to kill him, until he saw the state of Anakin behind the mask, and couldn't bring himself to do it.

These are just problems you run into when you make a show about a time period with A LOT of canon restrictions.

But it’s really not that hard to just watch the original movies and you know, hear what was said.

But who am I kidding. If Lucas couldn’t even do that for the prequels than no wonder everyone else was like well, fuck canon I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stargal View Post
    But it’s really not that hard to just watch the original movies and you know, hear what was said.

But who am I kidding. If Lucas couldn’t even do that for the prequels than no wonder everyone else was like well, fuck canon I guess.
    This is why I'm hoping they get the hell away from these eras between trilogies and do something new soon. You're so limited by the bookends essentially and because SW has a linear canon, these details do add up and limited what your story can do. Like please, I'm enjoying the nostalgia at times but lets moooooove on!

Quote Originally Posted by stargal View Post

I don't really feel like Lucas changed the arc of things with the prequels though.

Quote Originally Posted by CMJ View Post
    I don't really feel like Lucas changed the arc of things with the prequels though.
    there just were like details and things that were said in the original movies that were just plain ignored. one example- Yoda trained Obi-Wan according to Empire. Yet this never happened in the prequels, his master was Qui-Gon.

i could name a bunch more but i'd be here all day.

That's already been explained. We see Yoda training younglings in AOTC. So presumably, Obi-Wan would have been similarly trained by Yoda in a group setting before being assigned as a padawan to a specific Jedi knight.

Not exactly stuff to get wound up about.

People like to think of Lucas as being lazy and not giving a shit about continuity but I suspect he doesn't consider a lot of these finer points to be important and worth getting in the way of a larger story he's trying to tell.
    The Holy Trinity:
    Satyajit, Sharmila, and Soumitra

Got to watch this tonight, would agree that it's the best episode the show gave us. The final fight was just *chef's kiss* The choreography, the lighting, especially the glowing light of their lightsabers. Just so well done. Ewan and Hayden really delivered, I think it's about the most emotional this show has made me.

This is the only episode where I really enjoyed Moses Ingram's performance. It was just so irritating to watch her week after week and not have her performance be what she's been capable of in other roles. It's like she wasn't given any decent direction until this episode, that or Deborah Chow wasn't sure how to direct Reva. I really enjoyed her rebirth but I'd agree that it's a bit weird to just leave Reva knowing about Luke as a loose thread.

I almost screamed when I saw Qui-Gon, the only thing stopping me is the fact that I have covid at the moment. I've loved Qui-Gon since I was four so that shameless fan service was great for me

As satisfying as this episode was, I still feel like the series doesn't really justify its existence because like others have mentioned, it's so boxed in given the established canon surrounding the events. Should've just been a much tighter narrative told as a movie and maybe I would've found it more engrossing as a whole.

Wash your hands, please.

We basically knew but: https://twitter.com/variety/status/1...1sBZX7oq7tn8yg

Wonder what would’ve happened if they had done the Obi Wan spin-off before Solo… we probably would also already have a Flash movie or two instead of WB/DC’s headache over there rn lol

Mr. Basic
    The finale leak awhile back was accurate up to the last act, where basically Reva shows up to Vader and claims she killed Kenobi, thus triggering him into killing her as part of her plan to take the Luke secret to the grave. Clearly plans changed, maybe they want her back for another hypothetical season? I know there was a rumor weeks back that she might get her own spin-off show*.

Ben smashing Vader's control panel with the lightsaber's hilt was awesome.

*=I didn't hate that actress's performance like many online did, but...I don't know if her character is interesting enough to sustain a series. But who knows?
    New Crap RRA has seen

Rise - Thumbs Up
    Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers - Thumbs Up
    Memory - Thumbs Up
    Studio 666 - Thumbs Up

Old Crap RRA has recently watched for 1st time/rewatched for 1st time in 4ever

Extreme Prejudice (1987) - Thumbs Up
    Firestarter (1984) - Thumbs Down
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - Thumbs Up
    Gorky Park (1983) - BIG Thumbs Up