Pronoun(s)
    She/Her/Hers
    Quote Originally Posted by EOLB View Post

I don't understand the appeal.

Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben The Dark Poet's Avatar
    A place...where nobody dares to go...they call it Xanadu
    Pronoun(s)
    lydia/tár
    I wonder how The White Lotus will fare with nominations for its actors. Let's just assume that it somehow finds a way to stay in Limited, as a couple of people have suggested. I can imagine it getting anywhere from 4 to 8 actors nominated, and while I don't think it'll be like S1 where an entire category is almost entirely filled by actors from the show, I still hope we'll be getting a decent showing.

Coolidge, Plaza and Abraham feel like near-locks, since they either have the most buzz or are established enough to make it in based on name recognition alone (in the case of Abraham). After them. Fahey and Tabasco would be next in line, because while they weren't very well-known before the show, they're regularly being pointed to as MVPs. This is the logical ceiling - but then I could see Imperioli, Hollander, Richardson, Impacciatore, James and Sharpe all factor in (not all of them, since I don't think the show is going to have 5 nominees in each category - or maybe it will ). It's definitely going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

I may be delusional, but I'm starting to think Plaza could potentially have what it takes to win? She's definitely getting a lot of excellent material, and this past episode was a brilliant showcase for her.

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    I thought Plaza was always the strongest play. She's the most well-known name and from the start gave a really distinctive performance. Just like J. Cool seemed ahead of the pack from episode 1 of season 1.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Poet View Post
    I wonder how The White Lotus will fare with nominations for its actors. Let's just assume that it somehow finds a way to stay in Limited, as a couple of people have suggested. I can imagine it getting anywhere from 4 to 8 actors nominated, and while I don't think it'll be like S1 where an entire category is almost entirely filled by actors from the show, I still hope we'll be getting a decent showing.

If one happens, the other will too. I haven't even watched the new season yet and I know it. The show's popularity and the Emmy voters' laziness will ensure it. I hope some nominations are more deserving than last time.

Blunt Force

Pronoun(s)
    lydia/tár
    Quote Originally Posted by EOLB View Post

If one happens, the other will too. I haven't even watched the new season yet and I know it. The show's popularity and the Emmy voters' laziness will ensure it. I hope some nominations are more deserving than last time.
    Honestly, nearly everyone here would be more deserving than some of those nominees from last year - there was no reason for Steve Zahn or Sydney Sweeney to get in for doing competent but unremarkable work that season. So unless they get 6 people in each of the supporting categories (in which some of the less-deserving actors like Adam DiMarco and Haley Lu Richardson, both of whom are good, just not awards worthy), then I can't imagine it'll be a problem.

I'd say we could see three/four in each category as a foundation - Abraham, Imperioli and Hollander on the male side, and Coolidge, Plaza, Tabasco and Fahy on the female side (that's already a lot for them, but each of the four has gotten a lot of praise, and Coolidge is a returning winner and has a ton of goodwill left over). After that, then it can become a free-for-all. You essentially have 15 main castmembers competing, and any of them can get in - doesn't mean they will, but its going to be interesting to see how it works.

Last season was actually a bit easier - there were 11 cast members in contention, with 8 of them getting nominated. The only ones that didn't were Fred Hechinger and Brittany O'Grady in pretty bland roles that didn't have big moments, and Molly Shannon for a very small role that arrived too late in the season. Now voters have to pull from 15 names - and while we could probably rule out people like Gries and Woodall (who are neither particularly acclaimed in the roles, and aren't in the full series - one left early in the season, the other arrived later), that still means that there are 13 people who are competing for the spots - and the problem is everyone is divided on who the lower-tier standouts are. There's a scenario where Will Sharpe, Theo James, Beatrice Grannň, Sabrina Impacciatore, Adam DiMarco and Haley Lu Richardson are nominated or snubbed, and either would make sense.

I wonder if they'd consider NOT placing everyone in supporting, and trying to covertly place some people in lead. I don't know who you'd categorize as being the leads, since it's such an ensemble effort. We initially thought Coolidge could be bumped to lead based on her buzz, but they're clearly going to try and keep her supporting to justify that Limited placement, and she doesn't really have the material to go lead IMHO. You could make an argument for the Fahy/Plaza/Sharpe/James quartet as leads since they do get a lot of the focus, but that also doesn't feel right. Putting DiMarco and HLR in lead wouldn't seem right since they're not even that likely as nominees in either category, so its not like it would be a shrewd move to put them there for the sake of strategy.

Honestly, kudos to Mike White for actually making a show so good, with an ensemble so goddamn brilliant, that we are sitting here trying to figure out who of the entire sprawling cast is going to get nominated, with the very real possibility being that they could end up getting 70% of the supporting slots again

Or maybe the vote splitting we expected last year happens this time, and only two or three people get nominated

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Zahn was wonderful in season 1.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Or maybe the vote splitting we expected last year happens this time, and only two or three people get nominated
    Vote splitting isn’t a thing with the unlimited ballot.

No other limited series this season has made as big of a splash as The White Lotus, except Dahmer, so I’d imagine the actors would dominate the supporting categories again if it does indeed compete in limited and nothing huge premieres in the spring.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    The show's ratings are even better this time. I haven't been reading the reactions as I haven't watched it yet, but am I correct to assume the show remains beloved? I just think it's going to happen again (and in the same category) if it stays limited. If a film monopolized an acting category at the Oscars that way, we wouldn't hear the end of it. And the category confusion across awards bodies so far will only make it even more upsetting when it reverts to limited at the Emmys in the end.

Blunt Force

Pronoun(s)
    lydia/tár
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryfan04 View Post
    Zahn was wonderful in season 1.
    I never said he wasn't, He was fun, but I don't think anyone had him as their MVP! He really benefitted from the love for the show, because without that buzz and acclaim, he (along with Sweeney, Rothwell, Lacy etc) would not have been able to get close to those nominations. Doesn't mean he wasn't deserving, but they really showered that show with love, perhaps more than any of us expected - and if they were to forcibly trim the list of nominations it got last season down, Zahn would absolutely be one of the casualties - doesn't mean he's bad, just that he wasn't as strong as some of the other nominees that would have gotten in regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Vote splitting isn’t a thing with the unlimited ballot.

No other limited series this season has made as big of a splash as The White Lotus, except Dahmer, so I’d imagine the actors would dominate the supporting categories again if it does indeed compete in limited and nothing huge premieres in the spring.
    Of course not, I was mainly joking. I have no doubt that they'll dominate the categories - it's just a matter of determining WHO will dominate, since there is an argument for nearly everyone to make it in.

I saw someone on Twitter say that Mike White has a very similar approach to Mike Leigh - he makes ensemble-based stories were everyone is a standout. We all have our favourites, but every character is fully-dimensional and well-constructed, so its never a case of it being two or three major standouts, and then a bunch of filler. Every one in that 15-person main ensemble makes total sense as a nominee in one way or the other, whether based on the quality of their performance, the role they play in the story or their reputation as actors (the latter being a bit of a weaker criterion, but we were all predicting Abraham from when he was cast based on his stature as an actor - luckily his performance has warranted those predictions).

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    I actually think Impecciatore is likelier to get nominated over Tabasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Zuckerberg View Post
    After episode six, I think I agree.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Zuckerberg View Post
    You might be right, but Tabasco is so charismatic in those early episodes, which might tip the scale in her favor. I hope there’s room for both.

I’m most confident in Plaza, Imperioli, Abraham, Coolidge, and Fahy making it.

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    I hope there's room for both too! I just think the voters will probably gravitate towards Sabrina more because she has more gravitas, which probably helps with foreign actors (look how much attractive foreigners are dismissed as just eye candy) and a storyline with standout and easily recognisable dramatic/acting moments for non-Italians.

Even Alexandra Daddario last year had that crying scene and Sydney was riding the Euphoria wave (Brittany O'Grady had the better role).

I love Simona so much though. Hope she really breaks out after this.

Last season was actually a bit easier - there were 11 cast members in contention, with 8 of them getting nominated. The only ones that didn't were Fred Hechinger and Brittany O'Grady in pretty bland roles that didn't have big moments, and Molly Shannon for a very small role that arrived too late in the season. Now voters have to pull from 15 names - and while we could probably rule out people like Gries and Woodall (who are neither particularly acclaimed in the roles, and aren't in the full series - one left early in the season, the other arrived later), that still means that there are 13 people who are competing for the spots - and the problem is everyone is divided on who the lower-tier standouts are. There's a scenario where Will Sharpe, Theo James, Beatrice Grannň, Sabrina Impacciatore, Adam DiMarco and Haley Lu Richardson are nominated or snubbed, and either would make sense.
    I disagree that Brittany O'Grady had a bland role. It was a pivotal role in the narrative, and she had a big showcase in episode 5 with showier material than Sweeney (who only got nominated because of Euphoria and being more well-known than O'Grady). O'Grady also had the forth or fifth biggest role in screen time when someone posted the numbers here.

Sadly, I actually think the three Italian womyn are right at the bottom in terms of nomination likelihood, simply because the Emmys are Americo-centric and these actresses are not names, nor do I think HBO will prioritize them. They are important series regulars, but they weirdly aren't even included on the poster like all the other characters, which says a lot about how HBO sees them imo.

It'll be so sad when Jennifer Coolidge, Haley Lu Richardson, Adam DiMarco, Theo James, F. Murray Abraham etc. inevitably get nominated but Simona Tabasco and Sabrina Impacciatore are snubbed.

Only Plaza and Fahy can compete with those two imo.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelicate View Post
    It'll be so sad when Jennifer Coolidge, Haley Lu Richardson, Adam DiMarco, Theo James, F. Murray Abraham etc. inevitably get nominated but Simona Tabasco and Sabrina Impacciatore are snubbed.
    I agree, i just have a weird feeling that HBO won't care about the "foreign" trio of actresses compared to the American star names like Imperioli, Plaza, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by TailSpin View Post
    I agree, i just have a weird feeling that HBO won't care about the "foreign" trio of actresses compared to the American star names like Imperioli, Plaza, and so on.
    Yeah. I mean... this is their main poster for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelicate View Post
    Yeah. I mean... this is their main poster for the show.

I know, right

Tabasco, Grannň, Impacciatore????

Shame on HBO for sidelining such important characters because they're not the American stars.