User Tag List

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Francis Ford Coppola's "Megalopolis"

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    Leo’s like a trillion times more boring with his choices than Driver

To be honest, the fact that Driver signed on to this is the first thing that makes me think this might be good. On average, he has an eye for good material.

The cast might be a bit disappointing, but I simply want to see this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Contention View Post
    I agree he's very good and interesting on Girls, and it's probably still his calling card. I agree with misere though that Driver just seems willing to sign onto anything by anybody who ever made anything great at any point in their career. He's almost the anti-Gosling; Gosling's a way more talented actor who seems indifferent to directorial pedigree. Driver's almost doing a dummies version of a Leo impersonation, but only looking at the wiki page for Academy Award Best Director and not analyzing scripts.
    I'd place far less of a value judgment on that assessment than you would, though. Regardless of how one personally feels about his filmography or talent, the choices he's made actually did work in terms of his status in the industry now. There isn't another American actor in the past 10 years who's received the diversity of accolades that he has (meaning: LAFCA, Volpi Cup, 4 Emmy noms, 2 Oscar noms, 1 Tony nom, 1 Cesar nom--all for different roles besides triplicate Girls noms) and he made more movies in that time frame that are on Film Comment top 20 lists than anyone except Tilda Swinton. Obviously, those aren't the only barometers of success, but they do indicate the measure of respect he may have now among fellow actors and critics.

I don't actually think he'll be able to replicate that over the next decade, though. The Mann, Coppola, and Baumbach movies (along with whatever that sci-fi thing is) all seem like they'll seriously underperform. He might be like a Nic Cage or William Hurt in that they had compressed periods of time during which they were actually "hot" in the industry.

Well the difference with Driver and Gosling and others who are offered these films is that he says yes and they don't and I can't fault him for it, it makes sense he'd want to work with Scorsese, Mann, Coppola, Jarmusch and Carax.

Has he ever been "hot" in the industry? He's literally never helmed a major pop-cultural hit, and yes his whiny Emo supporting character in the terrible SW sequels doesn't count. Even indie Gosling has stuff like La La Land. Driver is completely virtual as a star. Driver is basically no different than Sam Worthington. He's proven nothing.

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    I agree he's very good and interesting on Girls, and it's probably still his calling card. I agree with misere though that Driver just seems willing to sign onto anything by anybody who ever made anything great at any point in their career. He's almost the anti-Gosling; Gosling's a way more talented actor who seems indifferent to directorial pedigree. Driver's almost doing a dummies version of a Leo impersonation, but only looking at the wiki page for Academy Award Best Director and not analyzing scripts.
    to be fair it has been working for him, at some point it will not but for now it's not something i can really fault him for since the movies are more often than not good and he gets to add those names to his resume which is pretty great.

Pronoun(s)
    She/Her
    Has he ever been "hot" in the industry? He's literally never helmed a major pop-cultural hit, and yes his whiny Emo supporting character in the terrible SW sequels doesn't count. Even indie Gosling has stuff like La La Land. Driver is completely virtual as a star. Driver is basically no different than Sam Worthington. He's proven nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsap View Post
    Leoís like a trillion times more boring with his choices than Driver
    Yeah, if you don't care about project quality and simply value promiscuous eclecticism. Leo can get pyramids built off of his clout. Driver is like "Oh shit, Peter Weir's directing a movie again?? Sign me up. No need for me to read the script or talk to the man!" I'm actually surprised Driver's not been in a Nolan film yet, but I suspect it's because Nolan has no use for him.

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    where’s the Don’t Look Up pyramid gonna go

I think this forum has had this discussion before related to actors who are millenials or younger. The goal posts have completely shifted for industry status when almost no one has become a name post-2010 without starring in an IP tentpole project. I'm not sure what measure there is for "hot" in the industry if it's not constantly being cast by extremely respected directors and getting a bunch of acting nominations. For ages 32 - 40 he's easily in the top 3 for casting choices. When I used that term -- "hot" -- I was more referring to the industry's general desire/appetite for casting an actor, not necessarily referring to box office hits.

LOL and no one's claiming he's Leo or Bradley Cooper. He might be more like Mark Ruffalo on steroids than anything. There's a continuum for financing, and being an accoladed actor IS helpful in the industry for higher budgeted auteur projects.

This sounds like a flop.

I'm still trying to understand why everybody here seem to agree on Frances Ha, Lincoln, Inside Llewyn Davis, Paterson, Silence, Logan Lucky, BlacKkKlansman, Annette or The Last Duel being awful screenplays (if I'm not wrong, that was the first time he decided to work with each of those directors... after that, he has built a relationship with them, so it can come to the previous good experience). I think most of actors would sign for those scripts even if directed by Uwe Boll. Probably I am too much out-of-the-loop if those are now considered anti-cinema or something.

EDIT: The funniest part of this conversation is that the first time Driver failed choosing director over screenplay was probably J. Edgar, which was precisely lead by DiCaprio. Driver was then quite unknown, so he can't choose between projects. On the other hand...
    The other situation when Driver was probably wrong choosing director over screenplay to work with a director he hadn't work before was Gilliam. But that was a legendary project, trying to make it for decades.
    Last edited by aikugur; 05-13-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Pronoun(s)
    He/him
    Quote Originally Posted by Markku Palo View Post
    To be honest, the fact that Driver signed on to this is the first thing that makes me think this might be good. On average, he has an eye for good material.
    What, and not the fact that it's being directed by Francis Ford Coppola?

Quote Originally Posted by Winters View Post
    What, and not the fact that it's being directed by Francis Ford Coppola?
    LOL I love FFC and I am happy he's finally get this project under the way, but the last time he directed a good film was like 25 years ago...

Thrilled for Nathalie Emmanuel! I really liked her in the sadly underseen Four Weddings and a Funeral miniseries, and I think she has a lot of potential.

Call me when they start shooting this

#1 Driver is unbeatable now when auditioning/talking with directors. It reminded me when in 2010 I thought that Gosling was unbeatable and then Danny Boyle cast James Franco in 127 hours. I was shocked.

#2 The AW tend to overthink, overanalyze everything. The comparisions with Leo are so off.
    In interviews Driver seems very grateful to have acting jobs. At school he thought he would just do theater with no prospect of working in film. Now he simply enjoy the filmmaking process and working with directors with different working approaches. IMHO the result is secondary for him. Light years ahead he knows exactly who he wants to work with. He mentioned Almodovar, Mann, Coppola, Haneke and probably number one is Mike Leigh which confirms that his wishes are very well thought out. Of course some directors have a small use for American actors. He want to produce another movie for Carax.

Here are two quotes about Leigh:
    There are so many other directors that have different ways of working that I havenít done yet, like Mike Leigh. Mike Leigh is heavy on improv and pre-production rehearsal and crafting the scripts with the actors. Iíve kind of done that in plays a little bit.
    Iím prepared to do a lot for a role, for example in Mike Leighís movies. Gain weight, lose weight, shave my head bald, learn to skate. I have my idols and Iím not afraid to admit that I happen to solicit for roles in their movies.

There is a script/early draft circulating online, does anybody know if it is legit or has been changed since then? Could be a pretty controversial movie. Spoilers for the movie: Driver's character has sex with a 15 year old pop star who "oozes sex appeal" and he apparently knows how old she is. There is sex tape of them and he gets arrested, lots of slut shaming, especially from his love interest (I guess Nathalie's character). http://screenplaymovie.blogspot.com/...galopolis.html

Quote Originally Posted by poerg View Post
    There is a script/early draft circulating online, does anybody know if it is legit or has been changed since then? Could be a pretty controversial movie. Spoilers for the movie: Driver's character has sex with a 15 year old pop star who "oozes sex appeal" and he apparently knows how old she is. There is sex tape of them and he gets arrested, lots of slut shaming, especially from his love interest (I guess Nathalie's character). http://screenplaymovie.blogspot.com/...galopolis.html
    If that's legit that's getting changed/taken out.