Thread: The Broadway Thread: Broadway's back, alright

LMAO! I love her.

lmaoooo

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    Kween behaviour!

Pronoun(s)
    (this is NOT Sasha btw)
    Beanie's most played part of the podcast for sure!

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    Redeemed herself after she said she thought Ana De Armas was unsophisticated!

Got my tickets for Into The Woods for the beginning of October

I'll be in NYC for about 4-5 days. Can anyone recommend any other shows I should try and catch while I'm there?

Technicality no down boo over?! flibber's Avatar
    Speaking of which I got back from my NYC trip earlier this week! Thoughts follow.

Company: This is really inventively and engagingly staged, and does it in a way that drills into how turning 35 might be different for a woman in this telling than for a man. The performance of "Not Getting Married" is so fucking funny. I was never able to weigh in on Katrina Lenk's stage performances here previously, and now that I have seen her I'm a big fan! Whatever vocal issues she might have had previously were not apparent to me at this point in the run, and she brings a lot of fun shading to a role that in a misbegotten production can seem somewhat vacant. Was very glad to see LuPone though between the two of them I would have probably given the Tony to Jennifer Simard.
    Into the Woods: This is obviously an Encores! concert staging just slightly rejiggered for a Broadway stage, and there was a part of me that wanted them to stage it a little more expansively, but it's hard to argue with it being a great piece that's just very well-performed (plus some really creative puppetry). Gavin Creel was out so I'm especially looking forward to hearing him on the cast recording.
    A Strange Loop: Was very compelled by this and sad that its grosses are dipping. Sound design was indeed a little muddy.
    Oresteia/Hamlet: This was an all-day thing at the Park Avenue Armory with a lot of cast members playing roles in both productions. It's funny that they even bother to credit the Oresteia to Aeschylus because it's essentially just a new play that follows the bare bones of the plot. It's at its most compelling in its first and fourth acts (lol) when it's really veering away from the original text and doing its own thing, whereas in acts two and three I found it frustrating that it'll do something like bring in Cassandra, who even in a cursory skim of the Aeschylus clearly gets a lot of meaty stuff to say, while here she just says gibberish and then dies quickly. Like, why even bother? But other people have vibed with this production so who knows. I was more into the Hamlet in that the actors are at least speaking, unadapted, the good Shakespeare lines that we all agree are good. Always glad to see Jennifer Ehle.

Lea Michele has started rehearsals. Tonight is Beanie's last performance, right?

Saw Company’s last performance today! Wow, it was amazing. I was only familiar with it in high school, and I didn’t care for it then aside from Being Alive which is the best showtune of all time. But wow it hits hard as a single adult hahaha. When “35” comes up on the stage in big letters I gagged a bit (was not the only person who reacted in the audience, lol). The gender swapping was really brilliant. And my god, getting married today was absolutely hilarious (Doyle deserved the Awards sweep, and frankly it may have been one of the best broadway song performances I have witnessed), but I was also crying because it was so amazing to see a traditional tune be about a gay couple now. He honestly upstaged Patti, who was great too, but didn’t have much to do. She did kill her number though and got a 5+ minute standing O. Felt like I was at Cannes! Also, I did like the lead actress as well. The tix were expensive but totally worth it - closing show energy was truly unparalleled.

Think I’m seeing A Strange Loop next week.

She did not waste any time.

Pronoun(s)
    she/her

Jessie Mueller as Miss Adelaide... shaking, crying, throwing up.
    RayB

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Omg, the Kennedy Center!

I've never seen anything on Broadway so this is the next best thing, I guess!

ETA: I think the tickets for the first weekend are already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by flibber View Post
    Speaking of which I got back from my NYC trip earlier this week! Thoughts follow.

Company: This is really inventively and engagingly staged, and does it in a way that drills into how turning 35 might be different for a woman in this telling than for a man. The performance of "Not Getting Married" is so fucking funny. I was never able to weigh in on Katrina Lenk's stage performances here previously, and now that I have seen her I'm a big fan! Whatever vocal issues she might have had previously were not apparent to me at this point in the run, and she brings a lot of fun shading to a role that in a misbegotten production can seem somewhat vacant. Was very glad to see LuPone though between the two of them I would have probably given the Tony to Jennifer Simard.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMBYNMafia View Post
    Saw Company’s last performance today! Wow, it was amazing. I was only familiar with it in high school, and I didn’t care for it then aside from Being Alive which is the best showtune of all time. But wow it hits hard as a single adult hahaha. When “35” comes up on the stage in big letters I gagged a bit (was not the only person who reacted in the audience, lol). The gender swapping was really brilliant. And my god, getting married today was absolutely hilarious (Doyle deserved the Awards sweep, and frankly it may have been one of the best broadway song performances I have witnessed), but I was also crying because it was so amazing to see a traditional tune be about a gay couple now. He honestly upstaged Patti, who was great too, but didn’t have much to do. She did kill her number though and got a 5+ minute standing O. Felt like I was at Cannes! Also, I did like the lead actress as well. The tix were expensive but totally worth it - closing show energy was truly unparalleled.

Think I’m seeing A Strange Loop next week.
    i'm disappointed that neither of you shared your thoughts on my future husband Claybourne

Technicality no down boo over?! flibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSpin View Post
    i'm disappointed that neither of you shared your thoughts on my future husband Claybourne

He's in his underwear a fair amount!

Ugh...Guys and Dolls starts literally like 3-4 days after I leave NY.

Quote Originally Posted by flibber View Post
    He's in his underwear a fair amount!
    and i'm sure that alone made it worth the price of admission.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryfan04 View Post
    Omg, the Kennedy Center!

I've never seen anything on Broadway so this is the next best thing, I guess!

ETA: I think the tickets for the first weekend are already gone.
    Never mind, it's just Members Only until the 4th.

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    ME!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaSofie View Post

LMAO, this looks horrible. Corny, lame, unnecessary, etc.

I feel like it would have been juicier as a play than a musical.

FINALLY!