User Tag List

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617

Thread: Prediction of the 2022 Sight & Sound poll.

Pronoun(s)
    It
    Quote Originally Posted by Genjuro View Post
    So today it was made public the result of a poll on the all-time best films, made through Twitter among a group of critics, programmers and cinephiles, 117 people in total, pretty much all from Spain, and they had to pick and rank 25 films. Here are the results: https://letterboxd.com/topfilmtuiter...tuiter/detail/

Here even in more detail: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...k2OSIsImMiOjl9

Despite featuring a few voters for the S&S poll, this is not a representative sample, but still we can find a few interesting things, the most telling one being the winner of the poll itself.

I would say that in the mind of most voters this was an alternative canon, like going away from the S&S poll could be seen as a positive thing. That could explain why Citizen Kane received one lonely vote to finish at the 598th position. And yet Vertigo won the whole thing again, beating every film by a landslide except for Mulholland Drive, a close second. That makes me think that Hichcock's film might have strenghtened its status during this past decade, becoming the clear favourite to win again. Also, we could already suspect that Lynch had a good chance to make the top-10, and this only supports that idea.

There are women among the voters, but we're definitely very far from gender parity. Anyway, contrary to what could've been expected, Jeanne Dielmann didn't fare that well at #70. Indeed Rita Azevedo Gomes was the first female filmmaker seen a film of hers called, The Sound of the Shaking Earth at #44. Yet that's likely a product of the Iberian body of voters (the most hardcore Spanish cinephiles usually love Portuguese cinema and up to three Portuguese films made the top-100, alongside four Spanish films).

John Ford was the most voted director, which I think makes sense in Spain (and tells us that these voters are not worried for hip cinema), and his consensus masterpiece The Searchers ended up fifth... among Ford's films. Again, it seems like voters tried to avoid the canon.

All in all, it's good for some entertainment while we wait for the real thing.
    Very interesting results, thank you! The Long Gray Line as Ford's top film is amazing. I don't even agree, but I'm glad that marvelous film gets the spotlight.

Tired of lame, lazy posters?
    Bask in the gorgeousness of truly great posters in Poster Clash, the AW game!
    Vote for your faves in the competitions subforum

https://awardsworthy.org/forumdispla...l-Competitions

Any impact because Godard death or is too late?

I love cats

Most lists were probably submitted already, but it’s not like he needed to die to score multiple entries accross the board.

Yes. But because of that, many could have the temptation to go for something less usual on the list and take it out. I expect that several sacred cows will have worse results than in the past. For example Fellini or Renoir. The death is always great marketing.

I love cats

Quote Originally Posted by picolandia View Post
    Any impact because Godard death or is too late?
    Thankfully, it’s too late. He’s already going to be grossly overrepresented compared to so many other names.
    The Holy Trinity:
    Satyajit, Sharmila, and Soumitra

Results only coming in December (the January 2023 issue). Reinforces my impression that S&S have been slack in their planning.

Quote Originally Posted by greenray View Post
    Results only coming in December (the January 2023 issue). Reinforces my impression that S&S have been slack in their planning.
    I'm confused. I don't think there was a January 2022 issue? I believe there was December 2021, then Winter 2021-02, and then it went to March 2022. And the Winter issue featured the "best of 2021" list. So are they going to have their yearly poll and the Greatest Films poll in the same issue? That seems... not ideal to me. The poll should absolutely have its own issue. And, by definition, that issue should be in 2022!

The whole thing seems messy to me, and frankly, Nick James would never. Honestly, RIP S&S poll. 1952-2012. You had a good run.

I just inferred that January followed December; it could very well be the Winter issue.

They said November (or I saw), so while a 1-month delay is disappointing, I donít think itís the end of the world. Awards season and end-of-year lists will be dominating the discourse, but Iím sure once the S&S list drops everything else will be pushed aside. Itís the S&S list after all.

And I honestly hope they drag it out and announce it in phases! Itís what the S&S list deserves lol.

It also seemed possible before that they meant the November issue.

I don't know. The 2002 and 2012 polls were featured in the September issues, with results announced in August. The fact that it was already slated to be later, and seems to have been delayed even further now, indicates, as greenray noted, a lack of preparedness. It's giving amateur.

They have to know that making the announcement in December, and having to share all that real estate with awards season and year-end lists (including their own) is hardly ideal. Obviously hoping this turns out well, though! And I wonder if they're still allowing voters to edit their ballots.