User Tag List

Page 1 of 28 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘Wicked’: Jon M. Chu Tapped To Direct Universal’s Film Adaptation(s)

‘Wicked’: Jon M. Chu Tapped To Direct Universal’s Film Adaptation(s)

‘Wicked’: Jon M. Chu Tapped To Direct Universal’s Film Adaptation

After adapting Lin Manuel-Miranda’s In The Heights for Warner Bros., Jon M. Chu has his sights set on adapting one of Broadway’s biggest hits. Sources tell Deadline Chu will direct Universal Pictures’ Wicked, the feature-film adaptation of the record-breaking musical phenomenon, which is in its seventeenth smash-hit year on Broadway.

The three-time Tony Award-winning stage musical was adapted from Gregory Maguire’s bestselling novel by book writer Winnie Holzman and composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz, who are also collaborating on the screenplay adaptation. Marc Platt will produce for his Universal-based Marc Platt Productions. Wicked is produced on Broadway by Universal Stage Productions, Platt, the Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone.

Timing is everything and in this situation it worked out nicely for both parties. Last fall Billy Elliot director Stephen Daldry left the project after the studio was looking to move fast on the long-awaited adaptation. Around the same time, Chu had to part ways with Disney+ new Willow series that he was planning to direct due to issues with COVID-19 that kept pushing production. On top of that Chu expecting a new baby, the director chose to part ways. With Chu’s schedule open and Wicked now looking for a director, the timing worked out for both parties for Chu to come on and take over directing duties.
    "Like Sally Field, even though that's two names it's still one." Sallegend.

24Emmy

Crazy Rich Asians is never happening huh?

Pronoun(s)
    she/her
    The deja vu is strong every time "Wicked" related news happen.
    RayB

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Bodes well for In the Heights, I guess.

I wonder who directs the Crazy Rich Asians sequels then.

when will we have the second book of Crazy Rich Asian?

anyway FINALLY

Pronoun(s)
    King
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgirl98 View Post
    Crazy Rich Asians is never happening huh?
    I want the sequel NOW.

“Crazy dreams take crazy effort.”

Pronoun(s)
    It

Always wanted to see what Lord Daldry would do with this when it was first announced, what, a decade ago? Plus he would've had Hathaway and Adams in their primes singing-wise, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Now, a pop star is almost guaranteed to get one of the top roles.

Does anyone think the Elphaba role could go to Olivia Rodrigo? Or if not then maybe Ariana Grande?

I wonder if (and I'm sure they will) they'll find or create roles for Chenoweth and Menzel? I could see Chenoweth as Madame Morrible.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    If Ariana is anywhere near this I won’t be watching.

What are the age ranges for the two roles anyway? I’m not a big musical theatre guy so I know next to nothing about this.

Banned
    The In the Heights trailer looked more cinematic than most musical stage adaptations do, so hopefully Chu can pull this off.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post

What are the age ranges for the two roles anyway? I’m not a big musical theatre guy so I know next to nothing about this.
    Part of the story is a play on when Elphaba and Glinda are in "college", but timelines also change throughout the stage musical and I can imagine them doing MANY flashback-esque sequences. Therefore, it's basically anyone above the age of 14-15 and under the age of like 30-35, honestly. At least IMO.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeByYourNamaste View Post
    Part of the story is a play on when Elphaba and Glinda are in "college", but timelines also change throughout the stage musical and I can imagine them doing MANY flashback-esque sequences. Therefore, it's basically anyone above the age of 14-15 and under the age of like 30-35, honestly. At least IMO.
    Ah okay, thank you! I was thinking maybe Sara Barielles could find herself in here but she’s probably too old.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Ah okay, thank you! I was thinking maybe Sara Barielles could find herself in here but she’s probably too old.
    Yeah, too old, I'd say.

And of course!

Quote Originally Posted by nicolefan19 View Post
    I wonder if (and I'm sure they will) they'll find or create roles for Chenoweth and Menzel? I could see Chenoweth as Madame Morrible.
    If I was charge, Menzel would would play Elphaba's mother and Chenoweth the midwife who delivers her. Very small roles, but they could possibly expand the flashback birth scene.

The first acts happens in college years and while the second acts doesn't have an established time frame, it's probably at least 5 years later. So I'd say any actress between the age of 20 and 35 is play.

Also worth noting both roles require LEGIT singers and actresses. Of course that won't matter for them, but you can't get away with half-assed singing for this.

I know lots of people here have it out for her, but Cynthia Erivo is my number one choice for Elphaba. She might be a little on the old side of the age range, but she'll be covered in green makeup/CGI the whole time anyway. She's a strong vocalist, has the acting chops to pull it off, and is fresh off an Oscar nomination.

Glinda is probably the hardest role to cast, it requires an insane vocal range, it's a legit operatic soprano role with lots of low notes and some belting thrown in there. The first act is pure comedic gold and then she turns into a more serious stoic character in the second act.

Kristen Bell could do it, but she might too old by now (40). Megan Hilty could DEFINITELY do it, but probably too old already as well (39). Annaleigh Ashford is 35 and could breakout with American Crime Story.

I know none of the new generation of Disney stars to comment on them.
    Glenn Close

☆ Stage Star ☆

Pronoun(s)
    él
    #Justice4DannaPaola @Kostas
    2012 FILM OLYMPICS
    MEDAL WINNERS

2016 EDITION SOON

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Well, there's also Melissa Barrera, the ex Academia alumn in a JHud run. But Danna Paola needs a good offer after Elite and she did a great job here in Mexico.

Still Bye Belinda
    Meryl Streep fans on internet after finding out Sweet Frances' 4th Oscar win as Leading Actress: El Shakes Revenge

I wish I could be excited for this. I like the songs, but the story is kind of... bad. And they’ll probably condense it even further to get it down to manageable runtime. No thanks.

Also, thank god Lea Michelle has already been canceled. Her campaigning for the role of Elphaba would’ve been unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Ohh, yes!!
    Glenn Close

☆ Stage Star ☆