User Tag List

Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109113114115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 2385

Thread: Random Actress Thoughts: Be Kind, Rewind

I remember Angela Basset saying she would never do a movie like monsters ball or monsters ball because it was demeaning to African American women. She was offered things she just would not do. So most of the time she was authoritative woman in big Hollywood movies which she played very well. Her greatest work to me may have been on ER! I remember believing that what Spader did for Practice she did for ER. After she was nominated for an Oscar for what’s love got to with it she got some buzz for Waiting to Exhale. That year was just too strong though.
    Last edited by BTN; 09-16-2022 at 09:25 PM.

um...why are we doing this again? skuLd's Avatar
    "elusive"? it's not like she's working hard for it.

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    Or maybe she doesn't get a lot of opportunities to be in those films!

um...why are we doing this again? skuLd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo Zuckerberg View Post
    Or maybe she doesn't get a lot of opportunities to be in those films!
    and "those films" with "those great roles" don't exist.

Classic Actressing Obsessed Cooper's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He
    After looking at the snazzy screen captures from the new blu-ray of Rain, I'm again half-convinced it's the greatest performance Joan Crawford ever gave. I mean, she crossed swords with Walter ever-lovin' Huston and more than held her own.
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hall View Post
    I finally saw The Piano Teacher for the first time today and ... It says a lot about a movie that still manages to shock you 21 years after its original release. Isabelle Huppert ... what a talent.

Definitely needed a giant glass of wine after it was over.
    Iíve watched it about 3 times and it shocked me everytime. She goes to very dark places in that film.

Pronoun(s)
    Male
    I can't wait to get my hands on the Blu Ray of Rain. It's decades since I've seen and the restoration looks glorious.

"Birdwatching in Late Autumn" (2021)

Pronoun(s)
    He
    I had a feeling Fritz would pan Bette's performance in The Star but man, he went far beyond that. Talk about a repetitive evisceration. Where's the nearest saloon? I need a belt of scotch.

Nevertheless, I agree with him that Joan's performance in Sudden Fear is superior to Bette's in The Star. The fact is, everything about Sudden Fear is better. The script, direction, production values and performances. Joan was given the royal treatment and she deserved nothing less. OTOH, it's glaringly apparent The Star was done on the cheap.

Frankly, if it's true the majority of scenes in The Star were filmed in one take, it makes me love and respect Bette's portrayal of Margaret Elliott all the more. Many times, she moved me deeply in the role. Margaret's desperation, self-delusion and humiliation at what her life had become felt all too real. Also, I liked La Davis' rapport with Natalie Wood despite the brevity of the mother-daughter interaction.

Obviously, Fritz is damn good at what he does, second only to the woman from Be Kind, Rewind. I respect his opinion.
    [SIGPIC]

Pronoun(s)
    It
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSpin View Post
    /Dead.

Tired of lame, lazy posters?
    Bask in the gorgeousness of truly great posters in Poster Clash, the AW game!
    Vote for your faves in the competitions subforum

https://awardsworthy.org/forumdispla...l-Competitions

Pronoun(s)
    he/him
    Incredible even more because it's inadvertent.

lmaooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I had a feeling Fritz would pan Bette's performance in The Star but man, he went far beyond that. Talk about a repetitive evisceration. Where's the nearest saloon? I need a belt of scotch.

Nevertheless, I agree with him that Joan's performance in Sudden Fear is superior to Bette's in The Star. The fact is, everything about Sudden Fear is better. The script, direction, production values and performances. Joan was given the royal treatment and she deserved nothing less. OTOH, it's glaringly apparent The Star was done on the cheap.

Frankly, if it's true the majority of scenes in The Star were filmed in one take, it makes me love and respect Bette's portrayal of Margaret Elliott all the more. Many times, she moved me deeply in the role. Margaret's desperation, self-delusion and humiliation at what her life had become felt all too real. Also, I liked La Davis' rapport with Natalie Wood despite the brevity of the mother-daughter interaction.

Obviously, Fritz is damn good at what he does, second only to the woman from Be Kind, Rewind. I respect his opinion.
    I often disagree with him but he explains his opinions well and I like that he's not playing favorites. He destroyed Bette here but gave her the win in 41 so he clearly tries to be fair.

Pronoun(s)
    He
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    I often disagree with him but he explains his opinions well and I like that he's not playing favorites. He destroyed Bette here but gave her the win in 41 so he clearly tries to be fair.
    Oh, that's good to know re The Little Foxes.
    [SIGPIC]

Pronoun(s)
    It
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    It's unfair giving Bette 1941, when Little Foxes is third-tier Bette acting (despite being a great movie). And when Stanwyck >>>> (yes, in Ball of Fire too).

Tired of lame, lazy posters?
    Bask in the gorgeousness of truly great posters in Poster Clash, the AW game!
    Vote for your faves in the competitions subforum

https://awardsworthy.org/forumdispla...l-Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    It's unfair giving Bette 1941, when Little Foxes is third-tier Bette acting (despite being a great movie). And when Stanwyck >>>> (yes, in Ball of Fire too).
    I think he put her in second place. I personally don't care for Ball of Fire...

I think she is better in The Lady Eve but not by a whole lot more, Stanwyck is so much fun and charismatic in Ball of Fire. Easily my favorite of the nominees, though Bette is probably second for me.

‏‏‎ ‎

Pronoun(s)
    He
    IMO, third tier Bette would be something like Dangerous. I'd put The Little Foxes far above that classification. That's not to say Regina Giddens is the most multi-layered character La Davis ever played.

Quite understandably, her ice cold, narrow-eyed and chalky masked take on the character wouldn't appeal to everyone. But she nails the ruthlessness of the role. At the end, Regina was more than a little unnerved to be all alone in that house. The combination of her passive aggressive role in eliminating Horace combined with Felicia Wright's rejection made an understated but undeniable impact on the iron maiden.

Doesn't matter though. Stanwyck deserved to win. She was a three-time (including Meet John Doe, natch) slayer that year.
    [SIGPIC]