User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The Kendrick Lamar Thread: Mr. Morale is Back

GKMC is Kendrick grappling with the city and community he loves and its many ails: gang violence, chronic alcoholism, and economic devastation -- and how it has shaped Compton's people, its families, and a young Kendrick maturing into adulthood.
    TPAB is Kendrick exploring his place as a black person in America, engaging in the numerous ways society has failed his people -- and often, pointing the finger directly at himself - while celebrating the richness of talent and culture brought out by the struggle.
    DAMN is Kendrick defining who he is as a spiritual being and the conflicts with the soul that comes with all things he is - black, Compton, hip-hop, famous, Kendrick -- in an epic narrative of wickedness, weakness, and redemption of the soul.

At the start of Mother I Sober, he raps, "I'm sensitive, I feel everything, I feel everybody // One man standin' on two words, heal everybody." The Kendrick in MMBS is the Kendrick that was hardened by the devastating condition of the city he portrayed on GKMC, that was placed on a pedestal as a central figure of black America in TPAB, that mourned for the damnation of his own soul in DAMN -- finally processing everything that's happened after a lifetime of blame, guilt, trauma, expectation, ignorance, anxiety, and shame. The level of introspection shown here isn't just revealing personal details or describing a story from the past, it's examining what all that did to you.

When I first listened to this album, I was struck by how "domestic" it is, for lack of a better word. It departs from the huge worlds he covered in his previous records - an entire city, an entire country, an entire religion - and takes us firmly into his home. His relationships with his wife, children, family, friends, and himself -- the ways he's failed them and the ways they've failed him. Kendrick ruminates on fatherhood, what it means to be a good parent, son, partner, friend, ally, cousin, and nephew, and what it means to show kindness to yourself. This is Kendrick as a man, baring his life down to the bone with extraordinary empathy and understanding of the self. It's an album only he can make, yet it feels more universal than anything he's made before.

A masterpiece.

CAN YOU MEET ME MORE THAN HALFWAY UP

I’ll spit my truth, and it’s brown. CrownOnTheGround's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Quote Originally Posted by VV View Post
    GKMC is Kendrick grappling with the city and community he loves and its many ails: gang violence, chronic alcoholism, and economic devastation -- and how it has shaped Comptons' people, its families, and a young Kendrick maturing into adulthood.
    TPAB is Kendrick exploring his place as a black person in America, engaging in the numerous ways society has failed his people -- and often, pointing the figure directly at himself - while celebrating the richness of talent and culture brought out by the struggle.
    DAMN is Kendrick defining who he is as a spiritual being and the conflicts with the soul that comes with all things he is - black, Compton, hip-hop, famous, Kendrick -- in an epic narrative of wickedness, weakness, and redemption of the soul.

At the start of Mother I Sober, he raps, "I'm sensitive, I feel everything, I feel everybody // One man standin' on two words, heal everybody." The Kendrick in MMBS is the Kendrick that was hardened by the devastating condition of the city he portrayed on GKMC, that was placed on a pedestal as a central figure of black America in TPAB, that mourned for the damnation of his own soul in DAMN -- finally processing everything that's happened after a lifetime of blame, guilt, trauma, expectation, ignorance, anxiety, and shame. The level of introspection shown here isn't just revealing personal details or describing a story from the past, it's examining what all that did to you.

When I first listened to this album, I was struck by how "domestic" it is, for lack of a better word. It departs from the huge worlds he covered in his previous records - an entire city, an entire country, an entire religion - and takes us firmly into his home. His relationships with his wife, children, family, friends, and himself -- the ways he's failed them and the ways they've failed him. Kendrick ruminates on fatherhood, what it means to be a good parent, son, partner, friend, ally, cousin, and nephew, and what it means to show kindness to yourself. This is Kendrick as a man, baring his life down to the bone with extraordinary empathy and understanding of the self. It's an album only he can make, yet it feels more universal than anything he's made before.

A masterpiece.

YES.

I've found a criticism with every album by Kendrick since his debut. None here. Masterpiece is deserved.

Pronoun(s)
    she/her
    GKMC is Kendrick grappling with the city and community he loves and its many ails: gang violence, chronic alcoholism, and economic devastation -- and how it has shaped Compton's people, its families, and a young Kendrick maturing into adulthood.
    TPAB is Kendrick exploring his place as a black person in America, engaging in the numerous ways society has failed his people -- and often, pointing the finger directly at himself - while celebrating the richness of talent and culture brought out by the struggle.

A masterpiece.
    wow, my respect to people who can express their thoughts in writing so eloquently

Nothing. Not a single word. mysteryfan04's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His

A masterpiece.

The untitled unmastered erasure.
    The Holy Trinity:
    Satyajit, Sharmila, and Soumitra

Pronoun(s)
    she/her
    Barring a masterful new studio album from Beyoncé, I think AOTY is sewn up for Kendrick with this one. The narrative—nevermind the widespread A+ level acclaim—feels far too grand to pass up.

The last hip hop artist to win AOTY was OutKast, also a double album. That one had a little bit more genre jumping into R&B, funk, and pop, and is more listener-friendly than Kendrick's, but it's certainly possible.
    The Holy Trinity:

Pronoun(s)
    she/her
    Having listened to it several times now and having read through the discourse, gotta say…still pretty conflicted about Auntie Diaries. And that’s okay, I can be conflicted and this can still be a great album that I love a lot, and I don’t at all question Kendrick’s intentions here. But at the same time I think there’s something vaguely paternalistic and corny about the suggestion that he should just get a free pass for deadnaming because “the art” and that at the end there’s the revelatory message that we should care for our trans relatives. I suspect that overall this song’s going to have a positive impact, which I suppose I’m happy for, though the fact that this is the level that needs to be reached for a positive impact isn’t something I’m going to be super excited about quite yet. I hope this points to a near future where his support for his relatives is just support, and not a by-cishet-men-for-cishet-men song with a bunch of misgendering about working through it.

Great album so far, tho. Love Kendrick.
    Last edited by Sage; 05-13-2022 at 11:38 PM.

He is unmatched.

CAN YOU MEET ME MORE THAN HALFWAY UP

This is the only thing I'm listening since Friday. A masterpiece.
    #BRAZ

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Pitchfork is a 7.6.

Whatever.

Build up your heroes so you can tear them down, I guess.

Critics also tend to sharpen knives for double albums anyway, it seems.
    The Holy Trinity:

Pronoun(s)
    Mrs. Park
    I’d be fine with that score if their damn one wasn’t so high

Pitchfork is a joke. Even got the name of a song wrong in the review.

American Civil Lesbians Union DeltaEst1903's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    I’ve only listened to disc 1 so far cuz of work, but I’m liking Mr Morale more than TPAB and especially DAMN so far.

“We Cry Together” was fucking intense

Great album. Will ofc listen to it more, but on the spot I'd probably rank it as my least favourite of his. I think all his albums are masterpieces or near masterpieces (I put all three on my best of the decade, I believe). In any event, this has got to be in the conversation of strongest first four album runs ever.

Why do people keep acting like Untitled Unmastered doesn’t exist?
    The Holy Trinity:

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Why do people keep acting like Untitled Unmastered doesn’t exist?
    Never really listened to it much when it came out (don't know why). It was released kind of like an afterthought as well if memory serves? Wasn't a lot of it the leftovers from To Pimp A Butterfly? I should go back to it in any event.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    I haven’t listened to untitled unmastered. But I guess this week would be a good time to catch up with it.