User Tag List

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Criterion Channel (RIP FilmStruck)

Pronoun(s)
    Him
    Yeah, signed up for the new version too. If you do it will be cheaper and you get little perks as you go, so totally worth it for me.

Just got this email from Criterion:

The Criterion Channel, our new streaming service for movie lovers, will launch April 8 in the U.S. and Canada.

As a Charter Subscriber, you can start watching right now with our Movie of the Week series, featuring a new surprise every Wednesday from now until the official site launch.

We are so grateful to all of you who have signed up to be Charter Subscribers. Now it’s time to make it official and lock in your benefits, including an extended 30-day free trial (starting April 8) and reduced pricing for as long as your account stays active.

Happy viewing!
    Anyone else jumping on this?

Pronoun(s)
    Bro
    Quote Originally Posted by simplican View Post
    Just got this email from Criterion:

Anyone else jumping on this?
    Was coming on here to post about this. Signing up right now to take advantage of the movie of the week series, which would equate to 10 free movies between now and launch (hopefully I haven't seen most of them ). I figure even if the selection is not up to what it was for FilmStruck, I can cancel during the month long trial in April.

Criterion Channel, Rising From FilmStruck Ashes, Sets April Launch Slate

The Criterion Channel, the streaming service that is bringing classic films back online after the widely lamented shutdown last fall of WarnerMedia’s FilmStruck, has set the lineup for its launch on April 8. (See it below.)

The channel features the same Criterion Collection and Janus Films titles that were on FilmStruck, which went dark last fall, prompting a backlash among a long list of A-list directors, not to mention thousands of fans of the service. FilmStruck had been an effort to take the DNA of Turner Classic Movies into the streaming realm, with hundreds of Criterion titles at its core. Original programming from FilmStruck will also be back on the new channel, including Adventures in Moviegoing, Meet the Filmmakers, Observations on Film Art and 10 seasons of John Pierson’s Split Screen.

Subscriptions are $10.99 per month or $99.99 a year. A promotional offer lowers the lifetime price for those who sign up before April 7 to $9.99 a month or $89.99 a year, as well as providing earlybirds with a “movie of the week” dropping each Wednesday before the April 8 official launch. Those signing up by April 7 will also get their first month free.

In addition to the 1,000 classic and contemporary Criterion and Janus films and 350 shorts, the new channel will also rotate in selections from studios and indies, among them Sony, Warner Bros., Paramount, MGM, Lionsgate, IFC, Kino Lorber, Cohen Media and several others. More suppliers of licensed films will be added in the coming months.

Cinephiles in the U.S. and Canada will be able to stream the new service on desktop browsers as well as through apps for Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android and Android TV devices.

The April lineup is highlighted by a group of 11 film-noir titles from Columbia Pictures, from directors including Fritz Lang, Jacques Tourneur, Don Siegel, and Blake Edwards. David Lynch will be spotlighted with four features and a selection of shorts, as will screenwriter Suso Cecchi d’Amico. A seven-film series will center on French actress Simone Signoret.

In addition to short and feature-length films, the service will have 3,500 supplementary features, including trailers, introductions, behind-the-scenes documentaries, interviews, video essays, commentary tracks, and rare archival footage.
    "Like Sally Field, even though that's two names it's still one." Sallegend.

24Emmy

Trailer of the year?

The definitive film...

I’ll spit my truth, and it’s brown. CrownOnTheGround's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Nice! I literally just signed up. So happy this exists!

Pronoun(s)
    His/Him/He
    I did the early signup which at less than $90USD/year is an incredible deal just for the Criterion collection. Add to that the rotating spotlight and it seems like the best classic film option right now.

I'd go to the website for the full April content list. It's incredible.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    Oh my god.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Well, damn.

So they'll have these films for a short while (as they're being spotlighted), along with the permanent streaming library? Just signed up yesterday as well

Pronoun(s)
    Oscar Winner L. Gaga
    Netflix, gurl bye! Can't wait to cancel my subscription the second this goes live!

That's My Purse! I Don't Know You! Abby's Avatar
    I am so happy that my sister is sharing her acccount with me, this lineup is awesome

Pronoun(s)
    Oscar Winner L. Gaga
    Honestly, just the entire library would have been MORE than enough, but all of this extra shit, too? It's TEW much!

OK, this looks amazing.

liked Nicole Kidman before it was cool filmy's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    McTeague
    Wow, who knew that I am Julie Taymor:

Her selections: Baby Face (Alfred E. Green, 1933); Great Expectations (David Lean, 1946); Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950); Sawdust and Tinsel (Ingmar Bergman, 1953); Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1957); The Cranes Are Flying (Mikhail Kalatozov, 1957)
    Cranes are Flying, what taste

Pronoun(s)
    Him
    US and Canada only. Fuck this shit .

I will marshall all the forces of darkness to hound you to an assisted suicide! - Peter Capaldi, In The Loop

Twitter delenda est

Pronoun(s)
    His/Him/He
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    US and Canada only. Fuck this shit .
    Blame the industry for this one. Region codes still kill in the age of streaming!

(Surely you have a VPN!?)

Pronoun(s)
    Him
    Blame the industry for this one. Region codes still kill in the age of streaming!

(Surely you have a VPN!?)
    I only have a VPN set up on my download server, but I might try it for this. Not sure they will actively hunt VPN users like Netflix does though.

But yeah, when the fuck is the industry going to enter the modern world?

I will marshall all the forces of darkness to hound you to an assisted suicide! - Peter Capaldi, In The Loop

Twitter delenda est

Pronoun(s)
    Mrs. Park
    this looks incredible

Mainly excited to finally see John Woo's 'Last Hurrah for Chivalry'. Hopefully they show the restored version on there.

HUSTLE. LOYALTY. RESPECT.

Pronoun(s)
    She/Her
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
    I only have a VPN set up on my download server, but I might try it for this. Not sure they will actively hunt VPN users like Netflix does though.

But yeah, when the fuck is the industry going to enter the modern world?
    Does it work? I mean FilmStruck by VPN. Cause otherwise I could not see the Criterion Channel.

Mama Weed is coming