User Tag List

Page 126 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2676116120121122123124125126127 LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2521

Thread: Random Reading Thoughts: Y Kant I Read

At nearly 80 years old, it's nice to see Andrew Holleran getting his due, in recent New Yorker and NY Times profiles. He's absolutely one of the great queer writers of our time, and one of the great writers, period. I just read The Kingdom of Sand, his first novel in 16 years (following the extraordinary Grief in 2006), and it's an autumnal masterpiece. Profound and elegiac, this is auto-fiction at its finest.

Pronoun(s)
    She/Her
    Just wondering if anyone here has read any of Tessa Hadley's novels and if so, what did you think? I've never read her before and got her latest book to work on and haven't started on it yet but I did read a couple of paragraphs from the first chapter and it at least looks interesting?

I just finished reading To Paradise, and I have to say I was disappointed.

As always, she loves to pull the rug from underneath her readers. In The People in the Trees and A Little Life, it was the ultimate revelation of the protagonists’ history delivered the gut punch. Here, she steadfastly denies her readers a satisfying conclusion, by abruptly ending all three of her stories.

I also feel like her ambition in this ends up spotlighting some of her weaknesses: the period dialogue never rings true, the connection between the three timelines is tenuous at best (it seems to start and end with her reusing some characters' names!), and none of the letters is convincingly written.

Having said that, I was extremely impressed by her character work. Some highlights are David's repulsion for Charles in Part I, the conversation between David and Eden outside Charles' house in Part II and the story of the two boys in Part III. I think I walked away from To Paradise with a greater appreciation of Yanagihara's gifts as a writer, and yet, I couldn't help but wonder how, with the talent involved, this novel couldn't have shown a little life.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His

Pronoun(s)
    She/Her
    That's a pretty good list. Already see some things I wanna check out. And it's lovely to see some I've recently read and really loved, like Fiona and Jane and True Biz. Also spotted Linda Holmes' Flying Solo, which I'm super excited to start working on soon, as her previous book, Evvie Drake Starts Over was a delight.

Need to go over the list more thoroughly and start adding to mine.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    I've read nothing on that list but there are a few things I'm interested in, including two sequels that I haven't read the predecessors to (Batuman and Marlon James).

Rough tiers for the books I've read from that list:
    Disorientation, Fiona and Jane, What My Bones Know, True Biz

Secret Identity, Black Cake, Portrait of a Thief, Nettle and Bone, Memory Librarian

The Verifiers, Candy House, Siren Queen, To Paradise, Family Chao, Joan is Okay, Take My Hand, School for Good Mothers, I Kissed Shara Wheeler, How High We Go in the Dark, When We Were Birds, Ballad and Dagger

Arrow to the Moon, Sea of Tranquility, Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea, Book Lovers

I'm just about to start Sea of Tranquility

Expectations lowered, I guess.
    The Holy Trinity:
    Satyajit, Sharmila, and Soumitra

Of what I've read on that list I've only loved Young Mungo. To Paradise was very flawed but I still enjoyed it.

The Picture of Dorian Gray feels like two very good stories that keep interrupting each other when put into one book. Dorian Gray's moral decay is familiar if still largely gripping gothic drama, while Lord Henry's long epigrams, which I gather tire some readers out, I find both fun and gorgeously articulated (Wilde's prose is great throughout, but especially so during Lord Henry's sections), then fascinating when considered in context of them with Wilde's own worldviews. But I think the way the latter is used as corrupted influence on the former is too thin so that they dilute each other a bit. Loved how Wilde arrived at that ending though. 4/5

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Yeah, Sea of Tranquility is one of the only 1 stars I've given this year. I didn't love her other two novels, but the self-insert in that was unbearable. Emily St. John Mandel is just not for me.

Recently finished Elena Knows, and it will probably end up being my favourite from the Int. Booker shortlist. Don't think I've ever been shocked by the change in perspective I had towards a character than I did with Elena. It's a revelatory and incredibly pertinent contemporary novel.
    Last edited by trvs; 07-13-2022 at 01:31 AM.

Started Mr Harrigan's Phone from 'If It Bleeds'...

It's very easy to read... And I'm already intrigued by the story!!!

Pronoun(s)
    She/Her

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him
    Both Glory & The Colony are two of my favorite novels of the year, but I hope Bulawayo takes it (from what I've read so far). Truly an incredible novel, and is so inspired in form and in taking inspiration from Orwell's "Animal Farm" and improving it in every way. Really runs the gamut in emotional complexity. I've also read The Trees, but I didn't love the use of satire in it as much especially with a specific genre element it uses in the last third.

Really interested in picking up Nightcrawling again. From the beginning it was a tough novel to read, but I'm glad it's getting recognition, and I think this makes Mottley the youngest nominee in history for the Booker. Also really interested in Trust, Things Like These, and Booth so probably will pick them up soon.

I finished André Alexis' Ring, the final volume in his 5 novel Quincunx cycle, set in Toronto and rural Southern Ontario that deals in a world very much like our own only one where Gods, the sacred, and magic is possible.

I've loved the entire series with my favourite being Fifteen Dogs, but I think Ring is a nice second. A beautiful meditation on love and what a person gives up in order to be part of a couple.

I love Alexis so much, I think he is probably the best living Canadian writer right now and he is always deceptively simple in his prose that is always playing around with tricky concepts and ideas. There is a poem at the centre of Ring that is just majestic and so simple to read.

I'm a bit sad that unlike the rest of the series this one seemed to get ignored by critics, but whatever. The whole series is a masterwork. I can't wait to go back and read them all again.

I missed it yesterday, but just saw it when I opened Twitter just now; David McCullough passed away on Sunday.

Olivia (the one on the left) was very sweet.

Pronoun(s)
    King

“Crazy dreams take crazy effort.”

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    Oh no! I hope he’ll be okay.

Pronoun(s)
    King
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryfan04 View Post
    Oh no! I hope he’ll be okay.

“Crazy dreams take crazy effort.”

Pronoun(s)