User Tag List

Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119123124125126127128129
Results 2,561 to 2,578 of 2578

Thread: Random Reading Thoughts: Y Kant I Read

Quote Originally Posted by picolandia View Post
    Corazon tan Blanco. One of the best books in Spanish (well or in any language) of the last part of SXX. Simply awesome. His use of Spanish language is so beauty as only a few of today writters.
    Quote Originally Posted by McTeague View Post
    As Picolandia said, probably A Heart So White, but I think he grew higher as a writer, but his later novels are so lush with digressions and thoughts that perhaps they're a better read when you're acquainted with his style. The Infatuations is also a good start, and Tomorrow in the Battle Think of Me.
    Thanks!

Really shocked to hear about Marias! Truly one of the great European novelists of our time.

Indeed, it's also a warning to the Nobel committee that they shouldn't wait too long to award certain writers. Though, I suspected that, after Modiano and especially Ishiguro (both European novelists dealing with similar themes), Marias might not ever win.

I started reading 2666. I often feel a certain stilted energy with works in translation and books that are over long often fail to charm me but I'm just really enjoying this so far even though I went into it totally blind. I think I bought the paperback copy like a decade ago and am only finally working my way through it now. Just finished the first part but it's hitting so many of my buttons. Mystery, a bunch of nerdy critics, Mexico. I love it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mmelissa View Post
    I started reading 2666. I often feel a certain stilted energy with works in translation and books that are over long often fail to charm me but I'm just really enjoying this so far even though I went into it totally blind. I think I bought the paperback copy like a decade ago and am only finally working my way through it now. Just finished the first part but it's hitting so many of my buttons. Mystery, a bunch of nerdy critics, Mexico. I love it all!
    The fourth part is arid as fuck. The book is a masterpiece but i like a little more The Savage Detectives. Still, BolaŮo is one of the greatest writters of the last decades
    in Spanish and, probably, the one that today most new writters in Spanish owns their vocation.

I love cats

Christmas Time, You're So Fine! Bean's Avatar
    The NBA longlist for Non-fiction is not really doing it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmelissa View Post
    I really loved it, read it last summer and just thought it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Poet View Post
    The perks of working in a bookstore

My advanced copy of Less is Lost arrived today. Less is one of my favorite novels of the 2010s, and probably my second favorite queer novel of all time (after Giovanni's Room and possibly Autobiography of Red), so I am extremely excited to get into it mgomgong:

In Andrew Sean Greer we trust
    I hope itís good. Less was such a perfect rom-com in book form. Not sure I wanted a sequel, but I trust itíll be good.
    Itís a summer with Julia Stiles.
    The Lake (Series) / Orphan: First Kill

NBA's Fiction longlist is similarly blergh to me. I guess I'm banking on the new George Saunders or Cormac McCarthy novels to save the year for me, because it's mostly been a string of uninteresting or disappointing novels otherwise.

Pronoun(s)
    He/Him/His
    I forgot to write that Monica Ali's Love Marriage was fantastic and hit really close to home. I'm glad NPR mentioned it on their list.

Pronoun(s)
    She/Her
    I'm interested in reading Alejandro Varela's The Town of Babylon. A few colleauges have been talking about it and it sounds good. Glad to see it on the NBA longlist.

Just finished Shane Kowalski's Small Moods which is a speculative fiction short story collection made up of stories that are mostly a few paragraphs long (I think the longest story is only 10 pages and the pages of this book are tiny).

I feel like this is the right book for someone but not for me. I don't regret reading it because one of the benefits of reading such a short book is if you don't like it it's over pretty quickly. Also some of the stories were pitch perfect and kind of hilarious but not enough to really make me love the book overall.

Pronoun(s)
    She/Her
    Last edited by ShinyShinyGirl; 09-23-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Oh my god?!

Pronoun(s)
    she/her
    Just woke up to the news. I'm in shock.
    RayB

That's awful!

I don't think a cause of death has been revealed, but Mantel suffered from chronic health problems her whole life. I believe she had a very severe form of endometriosis. She's written about it.

In any case, incredibly tough to lose two great writers so close together (Javier Marias and Mantel), weirdly both at 70. Feels like both had a lot more work ahead of them.

70 is one of those weird ages where you're not young but it still seems so early to die, especially when she was clearly sharp and putting out great work. Terrible loss for literature. My thoughts with her surviving family.

RIP; a great loss. The Wolf Hall trilogy was a great read.

Awful news about Hilary Mantel. Wolf Hall is one of my absolute favourite books of all-time. Still feel kinda bad about not having read The Mirror and the Light yet because I devoured the first two books.

RIP

Wash your hands, please.