User Tag List

Thread: Best Affordable HD TV?

Best Affordable HD TV?

I'm in the market for a new HD TV and was looking for some advice. I've only ever had LCD sets in the past, as that was all I could really afford. But I've always, really really wanted a Plasma set.

Much to my surprise as I begin my research and browsing that I find that Plasma sets are basically on their way out! (along with the old non-LED LCDs) But on the plus side, they are more affordable than ever...if you can find the right set that is still available for your needs.

I'm looking to spend at most, no more than $1000, and would love to spend as little as around $600. From everything I've read, despite the emergence of the LED sets, the critics still think that Plasmas are better overall, for more accurate picture, and are bemoaning the loss of Panasonic not making them anymore.

So, anyway, I'm going crazy trying to decide between a Samsung, LG, or Panasonic set. Each time I think I've found the right one, I read somewhere else that the other is better. Some say that the Panasonics have the best picture, but they're hard to find, followed closely by Samsung which don't seem to have the 3 HDMI ports I crave in the size TV I want, which is ideally around 40 inches, but I'll go up to 50 if I have no choice. It being a smart tv is not a factor as my blu-ray has wi-fi on it that I will connect to the TV.

The old Panasonics I've found on buysquad.com have the 3 HDMI jacks I desperately want, so I am leaning in their direction, however those tvs are from '09-10 mostly, and the reviews I have found are a bit inconclusive, raves over the picture, concerns over the sound and glare from light. The Samsungs seem to be the better bet, and there are some on bestbuy however they all have only 2 hdmi ports, but I think they're better reviewed, however, there appears to be a "buzzing" sound that emanated from them? I did find some LGs that could work, but then I read reviews that say LGs picture pales in comparison to both Samsung and Panasonic and that makes me go cold on them, though they have the 3 HDMI jacks I want.

The most important thing to me in the set I want is picture quality first (must be 1080 of course, and not all smaller Samsungs are) and foremost, the best, most accurate I can find, with the least amount of glare and yet the brightest picture. And then the 3 HDMI outputs. I have a digital receiver for my audio so it's not a major concern if the tv's audio is mediocre.

Or...am I mistaken in getting a Plasma set at all? Should I just get a LED? I do have some fears about the "burn-in" I hear about if I'm watching full screen content too long on Plasmas - I do watch alot of old TV shows that are in 4 by 3 ratio.

I appreciate any input at all from the techie experts here, so thank you in advance, Artimus, et al.

Pronoun(s)
    His/Him/He
    I have a plasma that's now almost 4 years old but still looks on par with today's quality. For that they're super. But if you can get a good new LCD on sale you'll get the same picture quality. They largely fix the black issues that made plasma better for so long.

I would rely on reviews (CNET, AVS Forum) and sales.

Thanks Artimus. I'm at least considering the LED LCDs again, since they're even more affordable. And I just read that new LEDs are comparable with what Plasmas used to be the only ones capable of doing.

i've had my Vizio smart tv for at tease 10 years.

the wickedly-talented, one and only... siowafc's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    ME!
    Lmao, for a second I thought Blasty was seriously considering buying a "new" TV from 2009 in 2017.
    CATEGORY: BEST ACTRESS BAD BITCH
    ALIEN ANDREA
    SUPERSTAR RISEBOROUGH

Reasonable and nice moderator Timmer's Avatar
    Pronoun(s)
    He/him
    Of all the random threads to resurrect?

And Vizio is where its at, esp. for gaming!
    I choose to be happy.

I bought a tv just one time and I remember at the time paying a small fee to access the latest test a serious consumer publication did (You want a serious blind test experiment type of ranking, anything else tend to be a bit of a mess, that overrate some factor like resolution and underrate more important one) and really didn't regretted their choice (Panasonic Plasma at the time, never really liked LCD).

Trying to see something like:
    https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...commendations/

Last time I checked they were not really bad choice or good choice that much, it was a very competitive market with very few big company (Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, LG, maybe an other) making their own panel anyway, most HDTV brand make really few part of the tv and would have and hard time to really look any different between them.

I'm loath to revive an ancient thread, so someone please tell me if there's a more appropriate place for this question, but I am looking to finally upgrade my ancient Samsung 40" H5000 and the huge range of options and reviews out there has me a bit stymied. I've settled on 65"; I'm disinclined to go for an OLED because I play video games that have HUDs and am wary of screen burn-in; the more HDMI ports the merrier (my current TV only has 2!). I've been strongly considering the TCL 6-Series, but keep getting heartburn over all the reports I see of it being a bit of a lottery whether or not you get a panel that works up-to-spec. Does anyone have any recommendations?