User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Thread: The Beatles (Group & Solo)

I’m taking the piss, honestly, and don’t personally find it offensive. But I enjoy making fun of Paul, and I just think it’s amusing that he has this squeaky-clean image compared to the Stones, Bowie, Zeppelin, etc. when it comes to girls and yet has this lyric on his resume.
    The Holy Trinity:
    Satyajit, Sharmila, and Soumitra

Pronoun(s)
    he;him;Miss Congeniality
    McCartney has periodically thrown sexual references into his songs--Penny Lane; Hi Hi Hi; even Why Don't We Do It in the Road, etc. it's nothing that unusual for him. If he has a squeaky-clean image, which has never dawned on me, it's because people haven' been paying enough attention. I find singing "You're Sixteen" from a man in his seventies a bit creepy, too. But not "I Saw Her Standing There," which simply places the singer and the audience in the position of being young and sexually alive or being older and remembering it. It is above all a joyful song, and I doubt that McCartney ever thinks twice about singing it, nor should he. Audiences young and old tend to love it--it has always been, and still is, one of his biggest crowd-pleasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Seventeen was not understood in the early 1960s to be underage the way it is today. At all. Especially if the person singing was anywhere near that age. I have numerous relatives from that time period who were married at fifteen or sixteen, an aunt who in the 1950s had four kids by the time she was eighteen (though that does include one set of twins.) I assumed most people were aware of the change that has taken place in this regard. For instance, in song in the 50s and 60s: "Sweet Little Sixteen;" "You're Sixteen;" "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen;" or in The Sound of Music, "Sixteen Going on Seventeen." Every one of them was based on the assumption that at sixteen or seventeen one was ready for romance. That is how it was "regarded."
    Really?

The National Age of Consent in Canada is 16.

The VAST Majority of States in the USA have Ages of Consent of Either 16 or 17.

Blue = 16
    Brown = 17
    Green = 18
    If Harley Quinn did not exist, it would be necessary to invent her

- Jesus Christ

Pronoun(s)
    he;him;Miss Congeniality
    The following is from Wikipedia, though the information is available from many sources:

"Age-of-consent laws [in the United States} were historically only applied when a female was younger than her male partner. By 2015 ages of consent were made gender-symmetric.[5] Until the late 20th century many states had provisions requiring that the teenage girl must be of previous "chaste character" in order for the sexual conduct to be considered criminal. In 1998 Mississippi became the last state to remove this provision from its code.[6]

"The laws were designed to prosecute people far older than the victims rather than teenagers close in age; therefore prosecutors rarely pursued teenagers in relationships with other teenagers even though the wordings of the laws made some close-in-age teenage relationships illegal. After the 1995 Landry and Forrest study concluded that men aged 20 and older produced half of the teenage pregnancies of girls between 15 and 17, states began to more stringently enforce age-of-consent laws to combat teenage pregnancy in addition to prevent adults from taking advantage of minors.[7]"

I have lived through this evolution. The American legal system began prosecuting many more young men who happened to be over eighteen, but were not much older than the young women with whom they were having sex, something which was extremely rare until the 1990s. This has aroused a small backlash from the broader culture, which has produced some recent easing up, but it is still very different from a few decades ago. Access to the internet and other sources has suffused the culture in sexuality broadly speaking, but actual sex among the young has declined (for a myriad of reasons) in most of the technologically advanced world, as has formal tolerance in the U.S. for over eighteen and under eighteen.

It is this reality that prompted my original post on "I Saw Her Standing There."

I'm shocked to see how quiet this thread is after three years

As a Liverpool man myself, it took me a really long time to admire the quantity AND quality of the band's work. In my earlier years, there were only a handful of songs that I loved including "She Loves You", "All You Need is Love" and of course, "Hey Jude".

But since Macca's iconic appearance on Carpool Karaoke in 2018, my love for the band has elevated from watching The Beatles Anthology and The Beatles: Get Back to downloading their many songs both as a group, and their solo work

I've also had the pleasure of doing the Magical Mystery Tour that takes you to key locations, including their childhood homes, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. I recently did The Beatles Experience at the Cavern Club which was such a thrill apart from having to leave early during the final set

My taste in the band's music is still a bit mainstream, but my top 10 songs would probably go;

1) Hey Jude
    2) In My Life
    3) Something
    4) I've Got a Feeling
    5) All You Need is Love
    6) Let it Be
    7) Yesterday
    8) A Day in the Life
    9) With a Little Help from My Friends
    10) Twist and Shout

Honourable mentions: A Hard Day's Night, Help, Don't Let Me Down, Penny Lane, She Loves You, Here Comes the Sun

As for the solo work, I'd currently rank them as;

1) Imagine (John)
    2) Band on the Run (Paul)
    3) My Sweet Lord (George)
    4) Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul)
    5) All Things Must Pass (George)
    6) Mother (John)
    7) Nobody Told Me (John)
    8) Let Me Roll It (Paul)
    9) Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (Paul)
    10) It Don't Come Easy (Ringo)

Honourable mentions: Power to the People (John), Another Day (Paul), Jet (Paul), Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five (Paul), Goodnight Vienna (Ringo), Woman (John), Got My Mind Set On You (George).

Apologies for rambling on; I just had to get all that out
    The Liver Bird soars

The Esher demo version of "Julia" has definitely become an all-time favorite of mine:

His dreams only speak of him - Jean-Luc Godard

The Esher demo version of "Dear Prudence" is also for that matter pretty great:

Going through the just released Super Deluxe re-mastered "Revolver" set and it's yet another treasure trove of revealing outtakes and alternate versions of these legendary songs.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the early demo of "Yellow Submarine", which was always considered as one of Paul's. But it's genesis is actually John's - an haunting folksy ditty ("In the town, where I as born. No one cared.. no one cared...) that would not have been out of place later in The White Album or in "Plastic Ono Band".

"Rain" in normal speed is a revelation of just how insanely great Ringo's drumming was on that song.

George's early take of "Love You Too" with Paul's harmonies was an interesting early take that did not quite work and is just one example how these songs evolved.

Overall, you do get a sense how many of these songs began pretty much as "Rubber Soul 2" - more of the folksy, jangling Byrds inspired rock and harmonies - which than the lads gradually moved away from to put in more experimentation and diversity (horns in "Got to Get You Into My Life" replacing the guitar riff, trusting their amazing instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
    Going through the just released Super Deluxe re-mastered "Revolver" set and it's yet another treasure trove of revealing outtakes and alternate versions of these legendary songs.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the early demo of "Yellow Submarine", which was always considered as one of Paul's. But it's genesis is actually John's - an haunting folksy ditty ("In the town, where I as born. No one cared.. no one cared...) that would not have been out of place later in The White Album or in "Plastic Ono Band".

"Rain" in normal speed is a revelation of just how insanely great Ringo's drumming was on that song.

George's early take of "Love You Too" with Paul's harmonies was an interesting early take that did not quite work and is just one example how these songs evolved.

Overall, you do get a sense how many of these songs began pretty much as "Rubber Soul 2" - more of the folksy, jangling Byrds inspired rock and harmonies - which than the lads gradually moved away from to put in more experimentation and diversity (horns in "Got to Get You Into My Life" replacing the guitar riff, trusting their amazing instincts.
    OMG, I didn't Revolver had been re-released! Will listen to it ASAP.

The new stereo mix is GREAT. Giles Martin does it again, and apparently he got a lot of help with technology from Peter Jackson that was used to separate elements on his Get Back documentary.

In addition to what Harv mentioned above, I loved that first instrumental take of I’m Only Sleeping, where they were using other percussive instruments to make it a little spookier. Didn’t make the final cut, probably the right choice.

Some of these early versions (or ones like them) were already on Anthology II, but it’s still great to hear a wider sampling of the sessions.
    The Holy Trinity:

The new stereo mixes of "I'm Only Sleeping", "She Said She Said" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" (AND "Rain"!) are simply stunning. I don't know if the Mono versions are exactly the same as those on the limited Beatles in Mono, but I'm also looking forward to giving those a listen.

While Abbey Road is my favorite album, I think Revolver is epitome of the perfect pop album - so eclectic, Lennon and McCartney firing on all cylinders. Harrison's songs pretty cool, Ringo given the perfect song to sing, a great closing (and no one but no one knew how to end albums better than The Beatles). Yet I have always struggled with the mixes. The stereo never seemed to get the volumes right - backing vocals often not meeting the volume of the lead singer and too much instrumentation which seemed to be buried.

I had always understood nothing could be done to adjust the mix due to how the recordings were done. The mono was a bit better but still did not quite pop. And I have always wondered if Abbey Road is my favorite because the strides in production in a few years were that significant.

This mix, as the mix a few years ago of Sgt Pepper's, is a miracle and gives new life to a great album. Five things stood out for me.

Ringo's drumming. Buried on songs such as She Said She Said and And Your Bird Can Sing (no doubt due to the deficiencies in recording in 1966), they are far more pronounced and, in their interplay with the rest of the instrumentation, make the songs pop far more. Along with backing vocals and Paul's bass, Ringo's drumming has been significantly served by the remixes.

Doctor Robert always felt like the only throwaway (well by Beatles standards) but this mix on the album turns it into a fascinating rocker. Vocals, guitars, drums all have more clarity and oomph.

Most shocking improvement. The biggest disappointment on Revolver has always been the poor horns on Got To Get You Into My Life. There studio musicians called in to play the trumpets and sax on this song were immensely talented and it was always a puzzle why it sounded so soft and yet harsh. For the first time the mix does them right and it is terrific! It was never the musicians. It was the mixes all this time.

Now one can hear the famous Rain combo of Paul and Ringo knocking the rhythm section out of the ballpark on Rain without thinking I wish it was a bit more clear to hear. Incredible!

The guitars no longer feel like they are bleeding into each other. They feel distinct and serve to enhance each other instead of descending into a muddy sound. This is through out.
    Last edited by ldw; 11-01-2022 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by affy18 View Post
    The new stereo mixes of "I'm Only Sleeping", "She Said She Said" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" (AND "Rain"!) are simply stunning. I don't know if the Mono versions are exactly the same as those on the limited Beatles in Mono, but I'm also looking forward to giving those a listen.
    According to the liner notes, there is someone credited with the “2022 Mono Mix”, so it has been updated since the 2009 boxed set.
    The Holy Trinity:

Quote Originally Posted by ldw View Post
    Doctor Robert always felt like the only throwaway (well by Beatles standards) but this mix on the album turns it into a fascinating rocker. Vocals, guitars, drums all have more clarity and oomph.
    Agreed. Might be the overall most improved track. "Doctor Robert" was always a track I felt compelled to skip over, but this remix has not only brought the track to life, but it feels almost like a new track altogether. Wonderful.
    Last edited by affy18; 11-02-2022 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    According to the liner notes, there is someone credited with the “2022 Mono Mix”, so it has been updated since the 2009 boxed set.

Thanks, all, for alerting me to the existence of this release. Sounds exceptional. It's not necessarily my favourite Beatles record (like ldw, that is Abbey Road), but Revolver is a 10/10 masterpiece in its own right.